Oh my they have only been in the pond 2 days

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With the eggs now if theres as many as it looks you may want to stop feeding all together between the algae and now the eggs they will be fine

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ponds are a little different than aquariums, especially established heavily planted ponds. Kept both for a very long time and in my aquariums I only add a fish maybe two at a time at most. I have added a lot of koi at once to my pond a few times in the past and never had any issues.

All that being said I agree with GBBUDD. On stop feeding for now, you did add a lot of very large fish to a new pond. I would just leave the eggs in there alot of them will survive without any intervention on your part.

Even in my pond with a pair of turtles, an 18” channel catfish, more goldfish, orfes, koi and just wild critters than I can count, I get baby koi, goldfish and orfes surviving.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have found over time that fish load finds it's own equilibrium in my pond without any help from me. Some years I have a lot of babies and other years not much at all. This year I have not seen any new ones at all even though there was quite a bit of spawning earlier in the year. Too many hungry mouths!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Telion, with all the rock in your pond, the koi won’t eat all the eggs and the fry that hatch will hide in there as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was just out at the pond and at one light I counted 34 babies already a good inch long guess all my hiding places is working too well too many are growing. time for the fish trap for babies

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I was just out at the pond and at one light I counted 34 babies already a good inch long guess all my hiding places is working too well too many are growing. time for the fish trap for babies

Haha, both you and telion have tons of hiding places for fish fry in your ponds. Can always make minnow soup with the little guys, if nature doesn’t take care of them.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I have found over time that fish load finds it's own equilibrium in my pond without any help from me. Some years I have a lot of babies and other years not much at all. This year I have not seen any new ones at all even though there was quite a bit of spawning earlier in the year. Too many hungry mouths!
This is the approach I take too Keith!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Telion, with all the rock in your pond, the koi won’t eat all the eggs and the fry that hatch will hide in there as well.

I was thinking that earlier I only see our 4" koi about once a week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yup - when ours spawn, you'll see one female being chased, two or three males doing the chasing and the rest of the gang following along behind snacking on the eggs. We've only ever had two koi fry survive, which is fine as we don't need any more big guys. Every year we think "phew! No goldfish babies!" and then the following spring see the telltale 2" black ones - a few make it every year. The first year we had babies we were so excited... now, not so much.
This made me laugh! Same here! I was so excited for baby fish the first year and my number went from 8 to 21! So now I'm almost AFRAID to see babies. My pond doesn't need more fish. I think all the eggs were eaten this year - have never seen babies - but then again, the pond is established and has LOTS of plants to hide in. Sure enough, the other day, at feeding time, there were TWO BLACK ONES hanging out with the rest of the gang!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see fry now and then, but still have a lot of water room. The fish get ZERO food during spawning and minimal food for most of the summer. They do a good job controlling the numbers.

I have a bunch of black swimming among the fishy herd. I dread the day I would need to try and purge fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have goldfish, no koi. The 1st couple of years that I saw fry, I got busy and “rescued” as many as I could. While I will say that raising the babies was kinda fun, it was also a royal pain! It’s just amazing how much waste can be produced by those tiny little things, and it was all I could do to keep up with decent water quality. I eventually moved them all outside into a huge tub and set up a trickle filter system — but it was never enough. Then, when it was finally time (which is the same as saying I reached my limit!) to release them into the pond, I don’t think most of them survived. But, my pond was already at capacity, sooo...... What was most interesting was that some of the babies were Shubies, and some were common/comets, and it was fun watching the Shubies take on their colors and various patterns, and observing the differences in Shubie fry vs comet fry (as far as their colors).

Shoot, if you’ve got space, time, and patience to raise them, I say go for it — at least once in your lifetime! It’s definitely an educational experience! The only thing I would have trouble doing is culling. I was fortunate that none of my babies had obvious deformities, so that was never an issue. BTW, I have never witnessed spawning nor have I ever found eggs. But there are a couple of “fingerlings” in the pond now, so something took place!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm always envious when I read posts that Mother Nature keeps their pond population in check. What the heck am I doing wrong - LOL ! Every single year I have quite a few survivors ( 47 in 2017 ) and they thrive.

Some years back I decided to not intervene for a few years and was aghast at the population explosion !! Fortunately I got in touch with a man who was running a fish sanctuary and he came out and emptied the pond and caught every last one.

Now I just have the "great koi round up" every year in late summer and remove all the babies. It is a total pain and I dread it :(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Happy fish having fun leaving you lots of grand fishies! My goldfish lay eggs but right behind the laying comes the feasting. I have very few that actually survive the frenzy and that is a good thing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Mmathis That's kind of what I was thinking; try to save a few just to go through the process and see what they become and how it works for educational purposes.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's kind of what I was thinking; try to save a few just to go through the process and see what they become and how it works for educational purposes.
Go for it! But plan on having exceptional water quality — which translates to frequent ammonia and nitrite monitoring!

Ask a Question