Oh No, it started!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I just went out to get some oak leaves out of my pond and saw all of these tiny (1/4 inch) fry in the parrots feather! I was so hoping that my fish were too small to spawn (they are only four inches!) Is it too late to stop feeding my fish in hopes that they will keep down the numbers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just went out to get some oak leaves out of my pond and saw all of these tiny (1/4 inch) fry in the parrots feather! I was so hoping that my fish were too small to spawn (they are only four inches!) Is it too late to stop feeding my fish in hopes that they will keep down the numbers?
I don't feed during spawning season, for just that reason. If you see the 'chasing', you know it' shenanigans time...or foam on top that isn't dissipating right a way; means proteins in the water and blushing time...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Congratulations, MOM!
Yes, stop feeding or feed drastically less, as they can go for Round 2 ("grandmom"), and 3, and 4. It isn't so much that they are too young/ small; I'm a bit surprised because it's still "winter" even here in Florida. But they announced they had the friskies ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I don't feed during spawning season, for just that reason. If you see the 'chasing', you know it' shenanigans time...or foam on top that isn't dissipating right a way; means proteins in the water and blushing time...
They were chasing but I thought they were too young! Ugh! I have SO many plants in there for all of the babies to hide in too...The water is in the 50's since we have had such cold nights...I thought spawning was supposed to be in the Spring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Congratulations, MOM!
Yes, stop feeding or feed drastically less, as they can go for Round 2 ("grandmom"), and 3, and 4. It isn't so much that they are too young/ small; I'm a bit surprised because it's still "winter" even here in Florida. But they announced they had the friskies ...
I've been feeding two to three times a day because they are so small and the pond is new without a lot of algae for them to nibble on...Oh boy...I will cut back drastically in hopes that they will eat some of the babies...I will be prepared next time I see the chasing (this time I thought it was bullying since they were so small)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I've been feeding two to three times a day because they are so small and the pond is new without a lot of algae for them to nibble on...Oh boy...I will cut back drastically in hopes that they will eat some of the babies...I will be prepared next time I see the chasing (this time I thought it was bullying since they were so small)
If you think your pond will become overloaded (probably yes, in time), there are 3 potential places who could take some of the population - maybe the place you got the parents from will take some babies. Pond groups - GPF has a classified area and there is often a local pond group/ group on Facebook for "free goldfish / Shubies" (being careful, of course), and lastly, sometimes Petsmart has space for goldfish you donate and they sell them. In the meantime, enjoy watching how fast they grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
We said you to use some protections...but...is too late :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Stop feed em and see, but if they were mine, this time i love too much to have fries and i ll keep growing em, then i relocate ahahahah

HAppy spawn!!!!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Frogs have been the best at keeping the fry numbers down in my pond. The one year I didn't have frogs I spent the whole summer with a minnow trap in the pond trying to catch and give away the babies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have found it very interesting to watch the population rise and fall in my pond. If the numbers get to around 25 fish, something always happens to eliminate a handful at a time. Last year, a heron found us and gobbled several of the bigger ones. Then there were a few mystery deaths of the other bigger ones. Now I am down to 11 small ones. My guess is that there will be a spawning party this Spring and the population will go back up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I could let you borrow Nessie (well, when she shows back up in the Spring, that is) We're thinking we'll have to relocate her this year, so perhaps I could just ship her down to you? :LOL:
more Nessie 03.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
If you think your pond will become overloaded (probably yes, in time), there are 3 potential places who could take some of the population - maybe the place you got the parents from will take some babies. Pond groups - GPF has a classified area and there is often a local pond group/ group on Facebook for "free goldfish / Shubies" (being careful, of course), and lastly, sometimes Petsmart has space for goldfish you donate and they sell them. In the meantime, enjoy watching how fast they grow.
Thank you for these suggestions SarahT…that would be my major concern…rehoming…

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I could let you borrow Nessie (well, when she shows back up in the Spring, that is) We're thinking we'll have to relocate her this year, so perhaps I could just ship her down to you? :LOL:
View attachment 147547
ahhh….no thank you BKHpondcritters…I will pass on the kind offer but she is beautiful from a distance…what kind of snake is she?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have found it very interesting to watch the population rise and fall in my pond. If the numbers get to around 25 fish, something always happens to eliminate a handful at a time. Last year, a heron found us and gobbled several of the bigger ones. Then there were a few mystery deaths of the other bigger ones. Now I am down to 11 small ones. My guess is that there will be a spawning party this Spring and the population will go back up.
This is interesting bagsmom..it would be an ideal situation if nature regulated the population instead of the dreaded culling

Ask a Question