Oh No, it started!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I am hoping for frogs cas but none have shown up…I had so many toads in my pond in Virginia that every day, sometimes twice a day I would have to empty my skimmers of them during mating season…a few frogs would be nice though…I wonder if they are rarer here in Florida?
Oh, plenty of frogs and toads down here, including 2 invasive types - the cuban tree frog and the Cane Toad. Both are larger than our native frogs and toads, which they eat, and -- don't panic -- the Cane Toad is toxic to animals and I think is bad for humans to touch, too. Once frogNtoad season starts, we can have a private dialogue on "which one is this and what to do next".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
In Italy is "flowers nd bees"... btw you will want keep em all...i already know...ahahah
Oh, plenty of frogs and toads down here, including 2 invasive types - the cuban tree frog and the Cane Toad. Both are larger than our native frogs and toads, which they eat, and -- don't panic -- the Cane Toad is toxic to animals and I think is bad for humans to touch, too. Once frogNtoad season starts, we can have a private dialogue on "which one is this and what to do next".
I don’t know if any can get in my backyard since I am tightly fenced but I do border a small creek so maybe something will “drop” in:)
You are probably right…I love every living thing…even Nessies…but I am hoping to forgo the pleasure of one as a house guest:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You are lucky you can still do it. Enjoy while you can...That's another problem (getting people to work on property) I have had the hardest time trying to find people to do menial tasks that I no longer can....
My neighbor was saying it's almost impossible to find someone who understands gardening. Someone to properly prune bushes and trees at the right time - someone who knows what to cut back when and when and how to fertilize. What is a weed and what isn't. Almost all the companies have people who mow, use a weed whacker, and blow. That's it. I told her she should offer her yard as an internship for a horticulture student at our local university! :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My neighbor was saying it's almost impossible to find someone who understands gardening. Someone to properly prune bushes and trees at the right time - someone who knows what to cut back when and when and how to fertilize. What is a weed and what isn't. Almost all the companies have people who mow, use a weed whacker, and blow. That's it. I told her she should offer her yard as an internship for a horticulture student at our local university! :LOL:
This, right here, is SO true!!! We've finally solved the problem by hiring a young man to come in when needed & do the more basic chores (the areas that can be simply weed wacked, chain saw cutting of fallen trees or brush clean up in the woods, cleaning decks or gutters, hauling & spreading mulch, etc...) which frees up our time & (most importantly) energy for the more 'detailed' activities, such as weeding in & around the garden beds or selective pruning.

He's also happy to listen, learn & takes direction well, so when it comes to more unusual chores (like climbing/scrambling up our 45 degree sloping hillside & trimming back ornamental grasses by hand with a hedge trimmer without destroying the surrounding plants) we can show/tell him what we need done & he does his absolute best to accommodate us.

But truly, good help is really hard to find!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This, right here, is SO true!!! We've finally solved the problem by hiring a young man to come in when needed & do the more basic chores (the areas that can be simply weed wacked, chain saw cutting of fallen trees or brush clean up in the woods, cleaning decks or gutters, hauling & spreading mulch, etc...) which frees up our time & (most importantly) energy for the more 'detailed' activities, such as weeding in & around the garden beds or selective pruning.

He's also happy to listen, learn & takes direction well, so when it comes to more unusual chores (like climbing/scrambling up our 45 degree sloping hillside & trimming back ornamental grasses by hand with a hedge trimmer without destroying the surrounding plants) we can show/tell him what we need done & he does his absolute best to accommodate us.

But truly, good help is really hard to find!!
when I grew up, 'weeding' was part of my 'chores'. So, I learned early and often! Thing is, what I've noticed around here is 'gardening' proper is about gone. I seldom see any homeowner actually doing it, let alone weeding. They do hire companies or more likely, have no gardens or overgrown shrubs under which nothing can grow. The others get yearly dumps of wood chips and someone else is hired to cover up anything less than 12" high. Do you actually KNOW people, now in this day and age, that actually teach their kids what is a weed, what is not, that actually plant flowers and prune, etc? Those people are like dinosaurs...:cool::p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
That is actually a good idea bagsmom...I can't find anyone here either. I have someone who mows and blows but that is the extent of it....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
when I grew up, 'weeding' was part of my 'chores'. So, I learned early and often! Thing is, what I've noticed around here is 'gardening' proper is about gone. I seldom see any homeowner actually doing it, let alone weeding. They do hire companies or more likely, have no gardens or overgrown shrubs under which nothing can grow. The others get yearly dumps of wood chips and someone else is hired to cover up anything less than 12" high. Do you actually KNOW people, now in this day and age, that actually teach their kids what is a weed, what is not, that actually plant flowers and prune, etc? Those people are like dinosaurs...:cool::p
Well, I am probably a bit of a dinosaur (in more ways than one, I'm afraid! lol) And while I do have numerous friends who are hard core gardeners, I'm thinking that a good portion of the younger generation growing up has lost a lot of interest in going outside, getting dirty & working on the earth with their hands.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Speaking of weeds, I need to get out there today in the sunshine and eradicate all those multiplying invaders :devil:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One gif moving around in a signature was ok, now three per signature or more and 12 or more dancing around on one page is a bit much too much of a good thing me thinks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, I am probably a bit of a dinosaur (in more ways than one, I'm afraid! lol) And while I do have numerous friends who are hard core gardeners, I'm thinking that a good portion of the younger generation growing up has lost a lot of interest in going outside, getting dirty & working on the earth with their hands.
Thats an understatement and those who do and will are finding it rather lucrative

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One gif moving around in a signature was ok, now three per signature or more and 12 or more dancing around on one page is a bit much too much of a good thing me thinks
you're not forced to see them; go to your account and uncheck 'allow member signatures'. Voila, instant mandate abrogation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i FIND IT NICE WHEN @j.w adds a welcome or others here and there just chill out a bit huh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Last week a couple of my Shubunkin ladies were spawning, with the other fish eating the fresh caviar where they could. I usually like having new babies in case something happens to the adults. Sure enough, this week a blue heron spotted the pond and cleaned it out in two days (only 9 fish - the babies from 2 years ago when all the adults were eaten). It seems this time of year is the most dangerous; the plants haven't started growing and covering up the pond and herons can spot the bright orange fish from 30,000 feet. Oh well...circle of life, etc. etc.

Ask a Question