Oil spill - Help!

Reaction score
My pump has somehow manage to spill almost all of its oil and now the whole surface of my pond is covered in it. How can I get this out? My Father-in-law suggested using a wet/dry vacuum to get the top layer off.
Has this happened to anyone before? How can I fix this?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i had a pump that would leak oil...not all of it but a slick...the foam matts that they sell for your garage oil spill may help...

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me, I turned the water on (well water) and overfilled it and let the slick wash over the banks. There was not much in the water to begin with, but I sure didn't want it in my pond. Now I have oil free pumps.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
1. First, turn off all pumps so the water is calm.

2. Just take a 5 gallon bucket and slowly allow water to skim into it. The oil is on the surface and wants to stay together. In no time at all, you will have every last drop.

3. Remove all your floating plants that are covered and toss them or prepare a soap solution in a spray bottle and had wash them. Do not get any detergent into the water.

The skimming shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get it all.

Don't waste your time with a vacuum, in the time I took to reply, you could have skimmed a medium sized pond.

Reaction score
My pump has somehow manage to spill almost all of its oil and now the whole surface of my pond is covered in it. How can I get this out? My Father-in-law suggested using a wet/dry vacuum to get the top layer off.
Has this happened to anyone before? How can I fix this?
Thanks

:profile:
Yeah your father-in-law says right but if you want shortcut than use this procedure. Oil always swim on the surface of water. You can collect oil from any wide platter and throw it out. But their is only one side effect which is, the water will be harmful for fishes or any other creatures.

Ask a Question