Ok guys I need help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hi again, so I'm extremely new to plants and flowers.. i.e. I've never been into them until now with the new pond my daughter just came home with some for an early father's day gift. I'd been looking at these because they say partial shade (and I didn't see any that said full shade... Anyway, I get confused when I see the back of the card says in one spot.. Do not allow soil to dry out.: but in another place I see best in fertile, humus-rich , WELL DRAINED, Soil.. which is it well drained or always wet lol.: Anyway can anyone tell me where these should go i.e care rooted in my pea gravel bog or planted around the outside of the pond... Same question for all the plants to follow.. p.s. They all say the same thing about keep wet and well drained
1) blue Skywalker speedwell
2)Albostriata Japanese forest grass
3)northern lights tufted hair grass
I'm really hoping the grass ones can go bare root in the pew gravel bog the speedwell could go anywhere

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
All three plants are terrestrial, I don't think they would do well in a typical "bog" filter.
The roots of those plants would most likely rot from being constantly submerged in water.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with Lisak1, I prefer the natural look in ponds. Planting on the outside of the pond edge and letting plants grow over into the pond rocks and water if it wants to really gives it that natural look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have several water plants that are spilling over and rooting in the dirt, as well as some in-ground plants popping up in the water. You just never know what they are going to do!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, when it comes to plants, the more the merrier. Plants in the pond, outside, along the rocks, in the rocks half in half out, etc. Variety is key. Flowers, no flowers, cool looking leaves, different color leaves and flowers, runners, vines...all beautiful. I like the ones that come back every year because they get well established and look better every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Thanks all, I too want the natural look. Originally I was trying to find plants to cover the liner both from inside and out.. I came into some free flag stone though so I have set it on the "hump" of the liner to cover it for now but as my plants become established I want to get rid of the stones. I guess it will just depends on how long it all takes to fill in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess it will just depends on how long it all takes to fill in.

I seems to take forever and then BOOM! There's a saying about perennials: the first year they sleep, the second year they creep and the third year they leap - I've found that to be true countless times. I've also found those first two years are when they need the most attention - keep them fed and watered. If they make it through the first two years, you'll then spend the most time keeping them under control!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I seems to take forever and then BOOM! There's a saying about perennials: the first year they sleep, the second year they creep and the third year they leap - I've found that to be true countless times. I've also found those first two years are when they need the most attention - keep them fed and watered. If they make it through the first two years, you'll then spend the most time keeping them under control!
That sounds good I'll just try my best to keep them alive for this year, with my black thumb and all, and hopefully next year they'll come back strong

Ask a Question