ok my daily query Gold spots?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lenny jewell, Apr 19, 2012.

1. lenny jewell

lenny jewell

Today i noticed several gold spots that actually looked like gold flakes along the back of my Koi ? i was told about a fish disease called "Velvet?" but all references were directed at tropicals , anyway they are along the back , The koi was/is acting strange like flashing several times , for a few day was jumping a couple of times a day , sits in a corner a lot but is active especially when i approach pond or throw food in , i have observed him/her eating but none of the fish come to the surface to feed they wait for the waterfall current to drag food under , the koi is very active in the evening , as are the other fish ( gold fish) should i treat this fish and for what and with what should i treat the pond should i add salt to the water , or even pima/melafix should i add some stress coat ????? anyone viewing , leave a message nothing more irritating than seeing 100 viewers and 0 replies !

lenny jewell, Apr 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. lenny jewell

lenny jewell

ok you guys are slow today i was hoping to go get supplies before 3 pm , but no advice as of yet , still have faith in you all though

1. Advertisements

3. lenny jewell

HARO Pondcrastinator

Sorry about the slow reply, but I was working on my pond re-build while the sun shines. Sounds to me like the fish may have knocked a few scales loose while either spawning or getting ready for same. Velvet isn't gold, it's a whitish cotton-like growth. And for God's sake (well, at least the fishe's sake) don't go running madly off in all directions, medicating for any evil your mind can conjure up!!! More fish are killed by improper medicating than by the actual problem. CHILL OUT!
    John

HARO, Apr 19, 2012
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  4. lenny jewell

lenny jewell

Thanks John i appreciate it and i did not run out for meds as i know to always ask first and act if needed later , i have been thru the lets play doctor thing before and found that it cost me a lot of money and time , when nature would have fixed the "so called ailment " itself all that was needed was patience ,

5. lenny jewell

lenny jewell

aha as i suspected over 30 views and only 4 replies , 3 of which are mine "tsk' tsk"

lenny jewell, Apr 20, 2012
  6. lenny jewell

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

lol Lenny, would love to reply but when I have no clue I tend to not reply. And I have no clue

addy1, Apr 20, 2012
  7. lenny jewell

j.w I Love my Goldies

I didn't reply either as I never heard of gold spots on fish other then their own gold spots that belong there cuz of course they are goldfish.

j.w, Apr 21, 2012
  8. lenny jewell

lenny jewell

hmmm perhaps i should weigh them and see what i can get for scrap , i hear gold is high right now

lenny jewell, Apr 21, 2012
  9. lenny jewell

CountryEscape

Bad time of day to expect a quick response, especially if everyone (including me) are outside working on their ponds today. :) Glad Haro let you know to wait a while and see what happens. Maybe post a pic of the fish, if you can get one that is. That may help as well. I'm new, as most are that are viewing, and not going to jump on the band wagon and give any advise, I'm looking to see what your problem is, and how to fix. That's how I've learned many things.

CountryEscape, Apr 21, 2012
  10. lenny jewell

HARO Pondcrastinator

Came across a discussion in another forum about medicating koi and goldfish. I don't want to infringe on the gentleman's rights or copyrights or whatever, but what he basically says is that over the last few years he has tried to bring nine or ten fish back to health, and every last one of them died shortly after he intervened. He strongly suspects that several of them may have recovered on their own without his dubious 'help'. But this man is no newbie to ponds or fishkeeping; he is considered to be very knowledgeable on the subject, and has been keeping and breeding fish for many years. I don't really know what the point is here, but it's worth thinking about!
    John

HARO, Apr 22, 2012
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  11. lenny jewell

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I just keep my water in good shape, if something did occur to one of the fish, I would leave it alone until it cured itself or passed on.

addy1, Apr 22, 2012
  12. lenny jewell

j.w I Love my Goldies

I think I'm w/ you addy on this one as whenever I have had a sick fish it never has made it w/ my intervention so they are on their own w/ me just trying to keep their water right for them. I don't have expensive koi tho so can see where one who has them would want to try to help them live.

j.w, Apr 22, 2012
    addy1 likes this.
  13. lenny jewell

lenny jewell

i look at it this way if i have them in my ponds i feel responsible , but that being said nature has a way of weeding out those that need to 'ahem' shall we say "swim on" and those that are strong enough to make it , .. suffice to say though some keep flashing and some even jumping none have died i am beginning to suspect its their little spawning rituals and the weather being as crazy as it is , is making them act funny never knowing if they're coming or going ... the gold spots i suspect are lost scales from bumps and scrapes , anyway i left well enough alone i did put some coppersafe in the water just to ward off any parasites that may think of jumping in and on to my fish , i created a bog system in my waterfall the water passes thru a u.v pump flows onto quilt batting ( synthetic ) then onto zeolite and carbon passing thru two barley bales and some plants then back into the pond ... i think its working well ..

lenny jewell, Apr 29, 2012
  14. lenny jewell

j.w I Love my Goldies

Sounds like you have a good set up for them lenny and if they are living and looking good then keep up the good work!

j.w, Apr 29, 2012
  15. lenny jewell

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

If your fish is jumping like its trying to rub off something, it could be a parasite. If only one fish seems to be behaving strange, I would not worry about it. Chances are it will clear up on its own. I never would recommend treating the pond because the treatments can be very hard on the pond. If your pond is balanced and healthy the fish will be healthy too. If the fish appear to be chasing each other they may be spawning.

callingcolleen1, May 1, 2012
  16. lenny jewell

lenny jewell

i have noticed that some of them seem to flash after i feed them , and yes colleen they are chasing and bumping each other , the flashing has been going on a while and it isn't constant just a flash once in a while and seeing that they are all eating well and don't seem to be distressed i am going to leave them alone , i occasionally add a little coppersafe to the water about once a month just to help fight against parasites ..

lenny jewell, May 4, 2012
  17. lenny jewell

Sounds like their spawning to me. When fish are spawing, they all like to get involved, even the little guys. Its like a group mating thing! Ha Ha Ha. Just can't help myself, I like to laugh a lot:)

Regards to the Copper Safe, have you read the fine print to see how "safe" it really is? I know that some copper treatments are "toxic to aquatic life. I have not used Copper safe so see what it says and let me know.

When it comes to "doctoring the fish yourself", I too have lost fish, in my younger days.....years ago, trying that trick! (Many times I might add) Even the "salt" treatment can be dangerous. Sometimes just moving the sick fish is worse than anything! (HELP! Where am I? ... This big thing put me in a nasty little bucket ....I CAN'T BREATHE!.....I am with the "others"on that thought:)

callingcolleen1, May 4, 2012
  18. lenny jewell

icsd71

I am realativly new to raising koi. I have on the other hand had fresh water fish and saltwater fish for years and i almost never have medicated. if you control there environment and keep everything in check it almost always works out for the good. One thing I make sure I have done for all my fresh water fish is make sure they have NaCl (sodium chloride) in the water. It is sold as salt for fresh water fish. This will help promote good healthy slime coat and may kill parasites as well asgives the fish electrolytes. Never had a problem with fish by doing this. But there is also negatives to this as a lot of folks do not properlly measure it out and may burn the fish and or even kill them. It is up to you to deside what is best for you and your fish. I hope others will chime in as well.

icsd71, May 4, 2012
  19. lenny jewell

Yes, many, many moons ago, when I was "young and dumb" I "may or may not" have been guilty of this!

callingcolleen1, May 4, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question