ok my friend wants me to get a old hot tub to trun into a pond

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I had a friend that turned a old style bathtub into a very successful pond. In fact I would say it's been running for 20+ years and as far as I know still running. So yes it can be done.

Reaction score
No reason why not.

I've certainly read over the years people express concerns over chemicals "leaching" from the tub but that's just over active imaginations.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Probably wouldn't hurt to pressure wash it or scrub down one time with plain water just to be safe but I'm with WB, once rinsed good it should be fine.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Actually, this could be very interesting project to watch. You might even could use the hottub jets as pond returns if you can angle them far enough.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
One thing that you might consider. Consider the material the hottub is made from. If you experience very cold temperatures, you might find certain hot tubs might not hold up well when frozen. When used for their intended purpose, they would rarely, if ever be subject to freezing. So in a Utah winter you might find the material could become brittle and easily crack, especially after a couple of years.

Many might be just fine. I just don't know but thought it should be mentioned as a possibility. If you can identify the original manufacturer they might be able to provide some guidance.

Craig

Reaction score
There is a woman here in central Florida who converted her hot tub to a pond when it died. She plugged the vents with goop and used pond paint to paint the inside black. Works out great for her. She had a stone mason put a cap edge all the way around, you can't even really tell it was previously a hot tub.

Ask a Question