Ok need some QUICK EMERGENCY HELP!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what I understand, which isn't much, if a magnet will stick to the pan, it will work with an induction cooktop. If it doesn't stick it won't work, since it heats by magnetic induction.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Switching from a gas range/oven to an electric range/oven takes more than these activists think. You'll need a new 240 volt 40 amp circuit. You can't just plug it into the nearest outlet.
Questions arise:
Can you physically get that new circuit from your electric panel to the location of your stove? What kind of damage will occur when and if doing so?
How much will it cost?
Can your home's electric service handle the additional load? Even if your service can handle it, sometimes there isn't any free space in your panel and you'll have to upgrade.
So, switching can cost a homeowner big bucks. And don't forget, you'll need a new range/oven. Have you priced them lately?

As @combatwombat suggests, we need diversity in what supplies our energy, which makes perfect sense.
But we also need diversity on the user end with how we use our energy. We can't have literally everything running off of electricity, at least not at this current time.
This is the problem with these climate activists. They want to switch to all electric without thinking it through, without preparing for it, without having another reliable method in place. One big example of this is the need of a grid that can handle it.

The more demand for electricity means more coal, gas, etc., but they are ignorant to this.

Resources for renewables have an environmental impact that some of these people just ignore, not only on the front end, but on the back end as well.
A lot of the existing solar panels are reaching the end of their service life and it takes specialized procedures to dispose of them properly.

On another note:
We are the most environmentally friendly country in the world with all our restrictions on emissions,water cleanliness, recycling, etc. etc., yet all these climate activists continue to freak out on us of all people. Look at India and China how they pollute everything, air, land and sea. Those countries could care less about the environment.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
latest news is original story was a mistake. No plans on outlawing gas stoves. There are 3-4 states that are pushing it. Can you imagine what would happen if restaurants had to switch to electric?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Can you imagine what would happen if restaurants had to switch to electric?
Yeah, I saw few interviews of restaurant owners. They were not happy with this idea.

They don't want to cook on electric or maybe it's just not feasible, I don't know. There must be a reason they use gas.

The cost of conversion including the new appliances would be rediculous.
I'm sure the electrical draw would be crazy. Who knows if their electric services coming into the restaurant could even handle all that amperage.

It would put them out of business, but maybe that's the end game. Look at the Covid shut downs. Small businesses were shut down and many didn't survive while the big stores were allowed to stay open.
Sounds like Communism. Push out the mom and pop businesses. Everything owned by the government.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was banned because I washed drop cloths
This is the problem with these climate activists. They want to switch to all electric without thinking it through, without preparing for it, without having another reliable method in place. One big example of this is the need of a grid that can handle it.
NOW YOUR IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS. the same people make us spend Thousands and Thousands of dollars working the way they think we should. Take my word for it you don't want to design a project on a limited budget , or expect the project to be even reasonable in cost and see activists adding there two cents when they are in your area when they live 1000's of miles away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I was banned because I washed drop cloths

NOW YOUR IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS. the same people make us spend Thousands and Thousands of dollars working the way they think we should. Take my word for it you don't want to design a project on a limited budget , or expect the project to be even reasonable in cost and see activists adding there two cents when they are in your area when they live 1000's of miles away.
Most of these "activists" are brainwashed by the elites who have invested their money in "renewables". Those elites were told this was going to be the next big money maker, so they all invested in it big time. There's no turning back for them. They are fully committed. That's why they villianize anything, persons or companies having anything to do with fossil fuels. It's always about the money. These elites could care less about the enviroment. The brainwashed climate activists are just pawns.

The earth had an ice age, it got warmer and thawed out and there weren't any cars, power plants, etc. around to be blamed for "global warming".

Obama payed $15 million for his beach front property. Do you think he believes the oceans are really rising?

Oh, they don't call it global warming anymore. That narrative proved them wrong. They had to generalize it by calling it "climate change". The thing is, the earth has always had climate change. It's a natural cycle.

There are recent reports that the moons of other planets are going through a phase where their ice is melting. Is that "climate change"? There are no cars on those moons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
latest news is original story was a mistake. No plans on outlawing gas stoves. There are 3-4 states that are pushing it. Can you imagine what would happen if restaurants had to switch to electric?
big bucks``````````````` There's no studies or medical reviews showing those who have a gas burning stove have any issue that those with electric stoves don't

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Natural gas pound for pound is the cleanest power we have today. Nukes being a tie

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what I understand, which isn't much, if a magnet will stick to the pan, it will work with an induction cooktop. If it doesn't stick it won't work, since it heats by magnetic induction.
Even if a magnet sticks it needs to stick well for it to work with induction. I had pans, magnets stuck, but not well, they didn't work.

What I really like, no pan on burner, if turned on accidentally, it will not warm up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm currently looking into induction cooking, so this discussion is very helpful.

From my reading, it seems the cooking surface does not heat up at all. There has to be a magnetic surface on the cooktop that absorbs the heat. So only the pan gets hot, not the area around the pan. Is that correct?

If you are switching from gas to electric there are some issues to consider that have already been pointed out. But there are some pretty good rebates currently to help with that switch. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it's in the neighborhood of as much as $800 for the stove and $500 for the wiring changes.

We actually have a gas stove that we like very much, but it is not vented. That's a problem. Any open flame inside or even outside your home produces toxic gasses. So we are considering other options and we need to replace this one anyway.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From my reading, it seems the cooking surface does not heat up at all. There has to be a magnetic surface on the cooktop that absorbs the heat. So only the pan gets hot, not the area around the pan. Is that correct?
The glass top does heat up, under the pan. It cools down pretty fast. Without a pan on the burner it will not heat up at all.

Ask a Question