Ok plant folk

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
395015A3-36FE-4AE3-8F44-35B1A4CCC7D2.jpeg F9C6DE6C-770F-4CD6-9FDD-836B1920DCF0.jpeg i know little to nothing about planting ponds. So winging it with some help. First off, what is happening to my hyacinth? They were started indoors and produced babies once they hit the pond. Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed the roots turning a purple black color. They don’t look so hot to me but what do I know?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The roots are rotting.
How much do you know about your water conditions? (the usual parameters plus temperature changes)
Was there much of a temperature change from indoors to outdoors? They don't like rapid temperature changes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
NH zero NO2 zero NO3 trace pH 7. My pond is swinging in temp for at least another week or so and yes, big swings. Doesn’t seem to bother the fish whatsoever. I moved all hyacinth to my heated guppy tub. The heater stays til July. Hopefully they’re not too far gone. My lettuce roots look good but outer leaves have yellowed and the plant looks slightly pale. Wonder if temp swings affect them? Thankyou Mitch

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Do you have a guestimate what the temperature difference was between indoor and outdoor water temperature? (actual numbers)
I'm suspecting that was the problem. You may need to look at replacing them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
My water temp swings from ~68f (night) to 90+ (heat of the day) Lettuce, and hyacinth seem to be OK.
Fish have gotten used to it over the past year. (I guess)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hyacinths will react to air temperature changes as well - with dramatic water temperature changes like you are reporting, I would have to guess you're getting significant air temp drops as well?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
The hyacinth have been in the outdoor pond for a 5 weeks. Temp has swung from 50F to 78F numerous times. Before that they were at a constant 65F.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Hyacinths will react to air temperature changes as well - with dramatic water temperature changes like you are reporting, I would have to guess you're getting significant air temp drops as well?
Yes indeed but they should be about over. We have had low 40s a handful of times since being outside. I have new plants coming soon but try to nurse what I have if possible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I've found hyacinth to be aggressive when the conditions are right but fragile when it comes to water conditions and pests. (aphids in particular)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My water temp swings from ~68f (night) to 90+ (heat of the day) Lettuce, and hyacinth seem to be OK.
Fish have gotten used to it over the past year. (I guess)

@Bluerooster - how deep is your pond? I'm surprised you get temperature variations that wide - water generally takes longer to heat and/or cool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Bluerooster - how deep is your pond? I'm surprised you get temperature variations that wide - water generally takes longer to heat and/or cool.
That's the problem, it's 2' deep at the deepest point. With a large surface area. (Should have made it way deeper)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What is that a picture of?
The thermometer stuck in something white has me a bit confused.
Thermometer stuck in a piece of Rmax foam insulation, floating on the surface, with the probe about 6" down.
It's an automotive HVAC thermometer. the dial is about the size of a quarter.

Ask a Question