Ok, sleuth this one out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Many of you have seen my pond so you get the picture. Approximately 10 feet away I have a summer tub for a strain I’ve been working with. Currently about 20 fish in a 30. This morning I was feeding the pond dwellers and low and behold, sitting happily in the creeping Jenny were two large female Gups. I have absolutely no clue how they got there. They have been living in water that easily goes below 60F over night. They look fantastic. Last I checked this strain has not been sprouting wings.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy has the same problem .Eggs can move and other critters can give them a ride .I have heard people at the garden center pond talk we have say the same thing .I had a fish in my stock tank filter several times .Frogs and birds can move fish eggs unknowingly

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
addy has the same problem .Eggs can move and other critters can give them a ride .I have heard people at the garden center pond talk we have say the same thing .I had a fish in my stock tank filter several times .Frogs and birds can move fish eggs unknowingly
Ah yes, however these are live breeders

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they can still carry them when they are small .Bird feathers ,I had a fish in my birdbath and that was back in 2008 and was amazed at how it got there until I remember birds taking a bath in the waterfall pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We once found a dead large mouth bass in our pond. We have them in our natural ponds in our neighborhood - none closer than two blocks away. We figure a heron dropped his snack on his way over the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If your new strain is learning to fly, I want a dozen! Then I could put them in my well seep to eat mosquito larva, and they could fly to catch adults too!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
If your new strain is learning to fly, I want a dozen! Then I could put them in my well seep to eat mosquito larva, and they could fly to catch adults too!
I will let you know

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I was in 'Nam back in the late 60's during the monsoon season after a down-pour there would be tiny fry in rain puddles on the road that were dry dust twenty minutes ago. The theory was the eggs got evaporated up, the fish hatched somewhere along the ride, and survived the landing. The ones that landed in ponds, a rice paddy, or river were the lucky ones. The ones on the road, not so much.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Timothy ! First - thank you for your service!

Also - the hollyhock seeds you sent me sprouted and are growing in my garden this year! I’ll post pictures when they bloom!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay Sparky, this is a good detective case! Agree with you, they are live bearing fish, not egg layers. My guess is they came over as fry in a fish net, water siphon or pump hose or perhaps in a bucket that appeared empty. Perhaps you did a plant transfer and they could have been within the vegetation. Had to be something like that or a neighbor dumped them! As you know, baby guppies can really hide and are so survivable. Stretching the limits of possibilities is a strong storm might have blown water from your grow-out tank into the pond.
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Timothy ! First - thank you for your service!

Also - the hollyhock seeds you sent me sprouted and are growing in my garden this year! I’ll post pictures when they bloom!

Excellent! Glad to hear they finally made an appearance! Ours seem to be on a two year cycle. One year not much, second year much better. I've been saving seeds and trying to "sync" them so "A" produces this year and "B" next year so there's a continuous annual bloom. So far it hasn't been very consistent.

Sorry about the hijack Sparky......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've been saving seeds and trying to "sync" them so "A" produces this year and "B" next year so there's a continuous annual bloom. So far it hasn't been very consistent.

I'm going to try for the same! I remember how beautiful yours were!

Sorry @Sparky - ignore us!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
We have had 3 large wind events in the last month. My pond equipment and other tanks are isolated as far as buckets, strainers, nets and such. The new odd thing is the generation in the tub is younger than these two girls. They are adults and appear a little different than my female cobras. Somebody must have dropped them there. Weird.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve had that happen too. A friend ‘drops off’ a few fish before moving or going on extended vacation. I would arrive home and scratch the head wondering where did these guys come from?!!!
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Pretty crazy that a tropical could survive weeks in 50+F water. I love guppies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads