ok, somethings fishy :(

Reaction score
Yesterday i fed my fish, all are happy..... Today.... not so happy. Found my 12'' rin Matsuba floating halfway under the goose decoy :(

checked the water right away

NO3- 20ppm - higher than normal, but remember, i just put them back into the main pond after putting in a new liner, and had to add maybe 50% more water from the hose. The other 50% was from the original pond

NO2- 0ppm
pH- 7.5 - about where it normally is
KH- 40ppm - is normally a bit above 80
GH- 180ppm

ran out of the liquid tests so had to use the strips i had left. He was covered with this thick slime? never had this before...

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Sounds like a Cycle
Did you keep your filter running or is that fresh to.

I don't see any test for
Ammonia or Nitrie

Is your fish gasping for air try to check his gills if they are red then it is a amonnia problem.
Another thing when you put in any declor ?

GL
Ruben

Reaction score
When I transferred them (I filled up the area we were going to use for the bog) with their water and bio filter. And No, none of them seem to be gasping or sucking on the surface :) honestly idk know what it could be. Never had a fish die like this before, at least not one that big! Lol. Maybe minnows lolol is it normal for them to have thick slime on them when they die?

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

Fishy Love Wrote:
is it normal for them to have thick slime on them when they die?
Well Fish have a slippery/slimmy stuff on them when they are alive not sure is it is stronger or more when they die.

I am soory I miss read your post did not relize the Fish died. I am sorry for your loss.

Are there other fish in there and how are they doing.

Ruben

Reaction score
thank you! yes I have others, they seem to be fine. None of them have slime on them, That I could see from a distance anyway. Its like a white milky slime, not like thier normal slime coat at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Fishy, I think all fish turn that white milky color when they die, if they have been dead for a while (24 hours or so). I've seen pond (farm pond - blue gill, bass, etc.) fish look like that when they washed up to shore. Wonder if that is normal for them to get covered in after they die? Not sure, though. Glad your others are doing fine.
I agree with above, ammonia is important test, but sounds like you were out of the tests. Nitrite and Nitrate and Ammonia are some of the most important tests, and PH, but usually the carp/koi/goldfish can handle a wider range of PH, as long as it is not all at once change. And, I've heard the strips can vary widely, whereas the liquid tests do not, so you may want to retest when you replenish your liquid tests. Good luck with the others! They sound fine, maybe the fish that died got hurt while in temporary pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I notice that on my koi and and I know i need to add some salt to the pond and also use vitamin c treats for them .I use the strawberry ,blueberry and orange treats from OSI ang get them from pet mountain .com .Sorry you lost a fish. Could bacteria in the bog go bad .Not sure just wondering if that can happen .

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
With the other fish being ok
I would still go out and get test for Ammonia and nitrite as soon as possiable, If not for any other reason then to ge safe.

As said above could have gotten hurt in the other pond or it could have already been sick and the shock of the move just over whelmed it.
There are just to many unknows that could have cuased this.

I also would not feed or feed just a little untill you know for sure the water is Ammo and Nitrite free.
The more you feed the more ammonia they are putting in the water. MHO anyway

Ruben M.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I was just getting ready to do a water change in my Aquarium I thought.

Have you tested your water lately ?
Are you on a Well in your area or city maintained water.
There have beeen times here and else where for others that the main water changed at have ended up with big problems.
Such as heavy amounts of clorine being used or high volume of PHO.

Just a thought on what good have happened or whatever

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It may be that you have a parasite they can cause exesive sliming of a fish but I seriously doubt that, no a more likely suspect could be that your pond may well bein the middle of a cycle look for a peak in ammonia levels as well as nitrite.
Never use those test strips as they arent that accurate liquid are always the best to use , personally I prefare the tetra test kits over that of the API kits .
I remember when we first swopped to a pond watching horrified at what was happening , and being told to trickle water into th pond via our dechlorinator it went against all I knew but rapidly learned to think pond not large indoor aquarium but after a steep learning curve everything turned out right and I've only once paniced when the nitrates went off the scale weirdly it turned out to be our tap water that was the culprit in this due to farmers muck speading and it washing off into the streams that supply our
water to via the reservour .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone, the rest of the fish are doing fine so far. I'm going to get the liquid test tomorrow, as my firebird is in the shop being fixed. I found him floating under the goose decoy, I wonder if he didn't get caught between the goose and the sand stone self :( other than the slime, it didn't look like anything else was wrong with him

Ask a Question