Ok that was not a septic pipe, This is a septic pipe!

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Ok i made a thread last week about my first ever pond dig when i came across a big concrete pipe and cylinder. Folks thought it might be apart of a septic system - the tank and pipe. i called my local sewer company and they pretty much told me it has nothing to do with them, they can't give me advice or send someone out. I guess it might be for liability reasons. So i went ahead and removed/saved nine 1foot sections of this first pipe i found. they were vinyl taped together for the most part. And i'm glad to remove the pipe b/c i can now dig deeper in this part of the pond. Yay!

So i'm digging today and think i hit a Big Rock (!) but after digging aroudn adn sweeping away dirt, it turns out to be an even bigger concrete pipe! I believe that this is the actual septic tank pipe. I now believe that the first pipe i found is a drain pipe (French style drain). See...

the septic pipe is the lower one. i think they busted it up and filled it w/ dirt (unless that is 30year old turds) when they deactivated the system, hooked up the sewer and re-buried everything. the French style drain pipe is a foot or so above and u can see what remains in the photo just off top center.

pip1.jpg

The septic tank pipe was not laid in gravel like the previous one. Also this pipe runs directly from the tank, whereas the smaller, more shallow drain pipe rests inches above the tank on gravel. And u can see below, the septic pipe was connected to another one at an angle.

pip3.jpg

Ok i think i will find a sledgehammer to bust up this pipe so i that can continue digging. i don't think i can save it like the sections of drainage pipe...

And speaking of the drainage pipe, i will have to re-route it. i think i need to at least dig out 2 sections including the one currently jutting into the pond and re-route it towards the slope. i'm not sure why the builders or whoever didn't do that at first, run it towards the slope instead of center of yard. Aahhhh more time and labor but it is what it is!

(also there's a piece of bent rebar on top of the septic tank cylinder. not sure why it's there, maybe it was a handle for the lid? anyways i think it will need to hacksaw it off.)

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
yep, just dirt Lol.

so i took out the septic pipe too. didn't have to smash it w/ a sledgehammer after all. just dug around it a bit and used a crowbar to lift it out. then chucked it into the yard and one broke in half the long way. i only had to remove these 2 pieces. the rest is not in my way and will remain buried where they are. (the other 9 pieces of pipe are from the smaller drainage pipe i found previously, dug up and will need to re-route/re-bury.)

pip1.jpg

pip2.jpg

where they previously laid. it seems the septic system was filled in w/ dirt.
pip3.jpg

and here's the rebar handle on top of the septic tank. there may be another one buried somewhere, but i will cut this one off. Do u think a Dremel can handle the job?
pip6.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok i made a thread last week about my first ever pond dig when i came across a big concrete pipe and cylinder. Folks thought it might be apart of a septic system - the tank and pipe. i called my local sewer company and they pretty much told me it has nothing to do with them, they can't give me advice or send someone out. I guess it might be for liability reasons. So i went ahead and removed/saved nine 1foot sections of this first pipe i found. they were vinyl taped together for the most part. And i'm glad to remove the pipe b/c i can now dig deeper in this part of the pond. Yay!

So i'm digging today and think i hit a Big Rock (!) but after digging aroudn adn sweeping away dirt, it turns out to be an even bigger concrete pipe! I believe that this is the actual septic tank pipe. I now believe that the first pipe i found is a drain pipe (French style drain). See...

the septic pipe is the lower one. i think they busted it up and filled it w/ dirt (unless that is 30year old turds) when they deactivated the system, hooked up the sewer and re-buried everything. the French style drain pipe is a foot or so above and u can see what remains in the photo just off top center.

View attachment 132721

The septic tank pipe was not laid in gravel like the previous one. Also this pipe runs directly from the tank, whereas the smaller, more shallow drain pipe rests inches above the tank on gravel. And u can see below, the septic pipe was connected to another one at an angle.

View attachment 132722

Ok i think i will find a sledgehammer to bust up this pipe so i that can continue digging. i don't think i can save it like the sections of drainage pipe...

And speaking of the drainage pipe, i will have to re-route it. i think i need to at least dig out 2 sections including the one currently jutting into the pond and re-route it towards the slope. i'm not sure why the builders or whoever didn't do that at first, run it towards the slope instead of center of yard. Aahhhh more time and labor but it is what it is!

(also there's a piece of bent rebar on top of the septic tank cylinder. not sure why it's there, maybe it was a handle for the lid? anyways i think it will need to hacksaw it off.)
It is a handle so when dirt gets in the cracks you stand a chance of getting it off.
I certainly hope your not getting into more trouble then you may have any idea usually builders don't spend TY money on expensive pipe when there is not a clear need. I guess you'll find out in a heavy rain or a big party you.might have down the road. I wish you luck

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Good job!
Thanks!

Not sure about the Drexel, but all you can do is try it.
My refurbed Dremel worked on the 1/2 inch rebar! 30,000 RPMS and 1 only broke 1 cutting wheel.

rebar cut.jpg

It is a handle so when dirt gets in the cracks you stand a chance of getting it off.
I certainly hope your not getting into more trouble then you may have any idea usually builders don't spend TY money on expensive pipe when there is not a clear need. I guess you'll find out in a heavy rain or a big party you.might have down the road. I wish you luck
yeah i cut off the handle. the septic tank has been inactive for 30 years and i do not plan on digging it up and taking it out. it will be come a pond shelf.

i'm not spending any money on expensive pipes tho. i'm re-rusing the pieces i already dug up and more that i will dig up. i will need to buy pipe coupling joints tho in order to re-route it away from the pond. See:

-- blue circles and squiggly's = it rained yesterday and as u can see from the pix below, rain water still flows from the rain gutter through this pipe, as the bottom of the pipe is wet which is sign of water flow. i cannot have this bubble up behind my pond liner, so it has to be re-routed.
-- yellow rectangles/trapezoids = the additional sections of pipe i will need to big up. i think 2 or 3 feet of the pipe behind the pond wall will do.
-- orange rectangles/trapezoids = the pipes that i will not remove.
-- orange arrows = the direction i will need to re-route the pipe. it will be away from the pond and towards a slope.

pipe re-route2.jpg

i hope that this will work and welcome feedback.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow .good luck .
Yes your septic may be 30 years old they do glow and fail or your town passes new laws like tittle 5 in New England. Good luck

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
You have a golden opportunity there to put a rainwater collection tank under that gutter downspout for chlorine free pond water.
Wow! Thank u, i didn't even think of that.

i'm already over budget but i think i could at least get 1 rain barrel at the moment. i would want a nice looking one tho, not the generic blue or white barrels. something like this plastic whiskey barrel...

rain barrel.png

then maybe i can add another 1 or 2 later on this side of the house b/c it's in view of the pond so i would want it to look a lil nice. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought I hit a septic tank on my dig it feels like concrete but It's not it's just really hard rocky ground. No fun but I sure would not have messed with it if it was a septic tank. Be sure to cover the left over rebar you cut off so it doesn't puncture your liner. Making a shelf is a nice idea that septic tank will make a nice sturdy base.

Ask a Question