Ok to feed outdoor fish in the winter?

Reaction score
Hi all. I live in texas, close to the fort worth/dallas area. I have an outdoor pond, and it would never freeze all the way through so my fish stay outside all year round. The air in the wintertime is usually in the 30-50 degrees farenheit range. But the water feels very, very cold. Cold enough to hurt your hands when you stick em in there.

So is it still ok too feed my fish when the water is that cold? They still eat, although much slower and much less enthusiastically than in the summer. They slowly make their way to the top, and get maybe a few bites and that's it. You can tell they are in a different state than the summer time. But, I think that they would eat at least every other day. Is this ok for them, when its this cold outside? Or should I just stop feeding them altogether until the water warms up a little bit?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
IMHO...you'll want to have a few days consistantly at or above 55*f (water temp) before starting to feed....start with a wheat germ based food (spring / fall diet)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Benny
This has been covered dozens of times in the past year. So a search on feeding.
In short, it can kill your fish.

Reaction score
50 to 70 degrees the wheat germ food above 70 you can start on the higher protien stuff until it cools down again

Reaction score
ive just built my pond and was planning on putting a couple of goldfish in there in a couple of weeks after the water has settled and the ph has picked up a bit, we are past the severe part of winter, mainly just rain, average temp is between 40 - 52 fahrenheit, so considering it is a new un-established pond should i feed these fish ?

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Please read all the posts before this. It has been answered many times.

yes i read all the posts, bennylava is refering to an established pond which the fish have occupied for several seasons i presume, i on the other hand am refering to newly introduced fish in a new un-established pond, on release are these fish just going to swim to the bottom and sit there not requiring any food of will i be better to give them a small amount ? similar question to bennylava but differant circumstances and previous posts didnt address my situation, just asking for advice thanks, !

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There are 5 posts in this thread that tell you not to feed below 55 degrees. It does not matter that your pond is new or how deep it is. What is special about your temp 40-52 farenheight?

Reaction score
well now that you say it doesnt matter that my pond is new, thats all i needed to know, yes i had read about the nominal temperature in previous posts, but i didnt know if it made any differance if my pond was new, and the best way to find out things is to ask !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
New water, make sure your ph etc are in a good range. And if you have chlorine in your water use dechlor

Ask a Question