I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A. Dean Lynn
Neat on the step idea but I wonder if there might be a concern on those blocks putting a hole in you liner w/ the weight of a person walking up and down on them? I know someone mentioned putting extra pieces of liner under them but I would still worry..................maybe needlessly but I would

Reaction score
A. Dean Lynn
Neat on the step idea but I wonder if there might be a concern on those blocks putting a hole in you liner w/ the weight of a person walking up and down on them? I know someone mentioned putting extra pieces of liner under them but I would still worry..................maybe needlessly but I would
My pond was formed with concrete so I do not have any liner concerns. I just finished draining 1/2 of our pond. Unfortunately, I did lose one koi that was around 35 years old. I originally started with around 12 koi and this was the second I lost - not a bad record. I have nearly 75 now. 10 35 years old and the rest from 5 to 35.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh so very sorry on your loss of the koi that had been around for such a long time. That would really hurt me!
Gosh you must really have a huge pond to have that many koi and they must be very big. Would love to see photo's of your pond and fish :)

Reaction score
Oh so very sorry on your loss of the koi that had been around for such a long time. That would really hurt me!
Gosh you must really have a huge pond to have that many koi and they must be very big. Would love to see photo's of your pond and fish :)

I would also like to see this as well.

Im just wondering, what about using an overturned clay pot? like the regular terra cotta clay pots?

Reaction score
I am using concrete blocks for steps. I will concrete stone on the top for looks. When finished, I will be able to walk to the center of my pond and even place a table for two so two can have a beer in the evening or coffee in the morning and view the fish.

My pond is irregularly shaped and also enters an outdoor aviary so the birds can drink from the pond and the fish swim inside the aviary. the outside dimensions is approximately 20 feet by 12 feet. My aviary is around 200 square feet so It is large enough to have a seating area inside. the combined area is around 450 square feet.

The pond really isn't that large. It holds round 6,000 gallons. When I finished with the steps, I will post a picture.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Compared to my 2500 gal pond it is large! And you must live somewhere warm to have an outdoor aviary. Will be fun to see your photo's. Always have loved birds also.
Can't wait to see them too :)

Reaction score
Im just wondering, what about using an overturned clay pot? like the regular terra cotta clay pots?
No problem pH wise. How well the pots hold up depend how/if the pot is fired. The ones I see in US chain stores are well fired and hold up fine. We have a lot of Mexico import stores with some terracotta that aren't fired very well and do break down, more like clay than ceramic. They do age fast and look super cool imo at least in the landscape, not water..

Reaction score
For liner ponds...block can be set in a bed of mortar which eliminates all the sharp edges. If the load is expected to be large (10 tons of rocks for a waterfalls) a concrete pad can be poured first. That will distribute the weight over a large area and not stress one point. The example of a person...say a 200 lb person on a 36" x 10" step would push down about 8 oz per sq in. That's pretty close to nothing as far as EPDM is concerned.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your pond sounds nice! We would love to see it.

Reaction score
Seven years late, but still handy to read. Thanks. I'm going to use some concrete blocks and wrap them in spare liner to avoid sharpish edges and help them blend in under water. Will use them to weigh down and raise my pond basket plant pots as the shelf is a little deep and my iris basket blows over in high winds. Cheers all

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Its no big deal to simply round over the edges of concrete block . a brick a rock run across the edge will be better then nothing at all . but a cheap grinding wheel will each up a concrete block and round it off in seconds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seven years late, but still handy to read. Thanks. I'm going to use some concrete blocks and wrap them in spare liner to avoid sharpish edges and help them blend in under water. Will use them to weigh down and raise my pond basket plant pots as the shelf is a little deep and my iris basket blows over in high winds. Cheers all
I, too, have some old, and I am sure, cured by now, cbs blocks, want to use two to put my spitters on, and the fish can swim thru the holes, lol. My pond is about 200 gallons, preformed, but when we moved here, it had a crack, so I've used a good heavy duty liner into it. Still fidgetting with the liner edges that come up and over the pond's sides, as to how to use or conceal them. Suggestions welcome!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Jumping frog hello.gif
and welcome @FroggyLady

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes concrete cinderblocks are fine but they can have sharp edges rubbing a brink or a rock over those edges can soften them making them less sharp expecialy the corners

Ask a Question