OLD AGE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,My koi is about 30 years old and for the last 3 days he has hardly moved,he is sitting up right on the bottom and is breathing,but as I said he has hardly moved,not even when I feed them,any thoughts please,is 30 old for a koi?....Today I changed half of the water appox 500 gallons ,but he still did not perk up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
someone more knowledgeable will ask more questions,
but have you tested the water and have you changed or added anything in the pond recently?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is there enough oxygen as the get bigger they need lots more oxygen than ever .Mine are about 13 years old and I know that changing that much water is not good either .The different temps can cause them to go into shock .If it is city water if not treated could be worse .I agree you need to test the water and fast .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for replying ,I have not changed anything lately ,will be doing tests in the the morning,now I am worried about changing so much water,should I have not done that? should I have added anything to the water?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have city water yes .dechlor should have been used .The temperature of the water can differ greatly and cause a fish to go into shock .Do you have an aerator .The older the koi is the more oxygen they need and do you know the temperature of your water .I have airstones placed 3 fee down and 2 feet down and one foot down and have 12 of them ,plus spitters I made .
101_1356.JPG
101_1546.JPG
101_0104.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No airstones, I have 3 filters and 2 waterfalls,none of the fish are on the top ,the other koi is propbaly 26 years old and must weigh about15lb

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If the Koi is sitting on the bottom it is not an Oxygen problem. The fish just may be at the end of its days. Although some may live linger with exceptional care and conditions, the life span of koi is purported to be 25 - 35 years. In an average Garden Pond I would venture to say possibly 20 - 30 years.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the Koi is sitting on the bottom it is not an Oxygen problem. The fish just may be at the end of its days. Although some may live linger with exceptional care and conditions, the life span of koi is purported to be 25 - 35 years. In an average Garden Pond I would venture to say possibly 20 - 30 years.
Thankyou so much for that,If he goe's because of old age I can live with that,we have come a long way together,kids growing up and leaving home to a move 4 years ago ,back home he was in a tiny pond down here he has had a 1000 gallon pond to swim around in and he has had a mate as well,I put my mums koi in there 3 years ago,done a test just now......PH=8..AMMONIA=0.2..NITRITE=0.25....NITRATE=80....ALKALINITY KH=6...G.H=13..They are all about the same as all the other tests i have done,except NITRATE,it is usually between 10 or 20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He is pure white and I just see some little red spots on him some on his head and some down both sides,they weren't there a hour ago,is this what happens ,?are his organs packing up maybe?it must have happened to someone on here before.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
should take him out .Do you have leech's or anything like them that could be causing the sores

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello is anyone there?I am grateful for the replys but I did think I would get more help from koi experts,Yesterday I found a koi carp supplier and they said to put the the fish in a tub of water with 3oz of salt per gallon of water for 10 mins and do it for 3 days,just done the second day not much change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello is anyone there?I am grateful for the replys but I did think I would get more help from koi experts,Yesterday I found a koi carp supplier and they said to put the the fish in a tub of water with 3oz of salt per gallon of water for 10 mins and do it for 3 days,just done the second day not much change.

I am gonna facedesk this one.

asking for help at one place and following advice from another is counterproductive. Stick with one source for help here or other. cross doing between is counter productive on both ends.

Following one way and sticking to that with a "hey this was suggested or asked or bla bla " is one thing.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok,but what advice did i get? Leave it there shall we.

post #2
post #3
post #7
post #11

no one is on her 24/7/365 so patience is required I understand these are you kids etc.

Ask a Question