Old, old, pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,
I have inherited an old, old, concrete pond with the old, old house I bought. It is about 8 ft long, 5 ft wide, 3 ft deep. Problem is, it has severe cracks in some spots, 1/2-1 inch wide, the bottom scaling away, and one wall with the top 20 inches crumbled away. I really want to restore the thing as I had a koi pond as a kid. Do I call a concrete guy, attempt to do it myself, call a pool guy?? I'm fairly handy but have never worked with concrete before. My thought is to pour a new concrete floor but the large cracks on the walls and in the corner has me concerned about being able to seal it, not to mention pouring new on the top 20 inches on the one wall.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Agree demo and line plus in the fute you may want to go bigger and much easier with epdm and you did not mention but guessing since it is this bad a shape there are no fish

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you line the existing pond with a liner?
I would suggest that too, if the concrete is secure enough, you say some is crumbling, that could cause an issue later. As long the concrete pond does not hold water that would get under the liner and make it bubble up.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! I ditto everyone else regarding a liner (45 mil EPDM). You didn't mention where you live.... Do you have cold winters? Depending on the frost line, heaving can be an issue, which might to an on-going problem if you tried to repair what's already there.

(You don't have to tell us....) but when you said it was an "old, old pond" and an "old, old house," I was wondering what your age is :)

Post some pictures so we can see what you're up against with the pond situation.

Ask a Question