Old pond has holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have emptied a pond that previous owner installed in our garden and found that it has lots of small holes both on the ledge and on the bottom, which is puzzling. Is this so that water can be topped up and thus help keep it clean? Most of the holes are full of earth so we would need to clean them. Thanks for your thoughts!
are
64AA4C8F-C7A6-4780-8D77-A9B8FFAEFF9C.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks- you are right! Looking at the pattern carefully I see it is not regular. So I will put a liner in. Thanks again and I shall think of something cleverer next time!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thinking maybe previous owner did not want pond and drilled the holes to keep it from holding water. You could always drop a liner in it.
agree drilled holes to keep it empty.
You could seal the holes, clean and seal with a water proof sealant, like the goop stuff I use to seal items on the boat, used for under water. Then no hiding of a liner. That is what I would do, it has a nice look to it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
agree drilled holes to keep it empty.
You could seal the holes, clean and seal with a water proof sealant, like the goop stuff I use to seal items on the boat, used for under water. Then no hiding of a liner. That is what I would do, it has a nice look to it.
Thank you too. Very good idea as well. Will look into that and will update you on the results. Kind regards all

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Update as promised. Used Plastic Padding Gelcoat Filler 180ml Tin, Glass Fibre GRP Repairs. Half filled the pond last night with water from a full rain butt - and this is the state this morning:
It was not an easy job to fill so many holes and the pond must have moved as I was applying the paste from inside. So lesson learnt and I shall go for solution 2: a liner. New update to follow after that. Cheers
FE45D977-A01B-463C-9562-D0AAEAB828D1.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bummer good try! A good marine sealant would work, I have stuff we use on our boat, takes salt water, fresh water , sun exposure etc.
But a liner works also.

Ask a Question