Old pond help

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hello, I bought a house that had a pond full of holes and finally seem to have fixed it. I'd like to take care of the few plants living in it, add a few and do something about the large (I think) waterlily that was already living in it.

The water lily from what I can tell is just floating there. There is no soil or pot or anything. I'm thinking of dividing it and putting each bit in those water planting bags with clay (nutrient ball?).I also have an other baby water lily that I bought...How do I go about positioning that and the divided water lily? How large should the bags be and can I divide it the end of April? I'm actually in the south of Sweden (can't speak Swedish) and it's currently back to being around 10 degrees during the day and a little above zero at night.

Any tips on adding plant life that benefits fish and doesn't cost a lot of money? Maybe things that grow fast and I can multiply... I was thinking of getting some Hottonia Palustris which may be water violets or featherfoil according to google.

Any advice on anything you would do to such a pond would be appreciated!

pic 2.jpg

pond 1.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the water lily is just floating you could just leave it float, might bloom some might not, depends on the nutrients in the pond. You could put the entire tuber (depending on how big it is) in a pot with some pure clay kitty litter. Or divide the tuber and plant in pots, they like wide and shallow. I use walmart oil pans. Make sure the growing tip is above the planting medium. The way they grow a planting bag may not be the best.

They like to be around 1-3ish feet deep.

Is the zero and 10 C or F?

Just keep looking for plants at garden centers, from other ponders etc.

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Thanks for the info! The waterlily did flower last year but maybe not so much.. It gives nice cover to fish that were already in the pond so I'm a little nervous about splitting it in case I do it wrong and I'm left with a tiny waterlily.
It's 10 degrees celcius right now :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You don't need to divide , if you want to plant it, take the plant put the roots in a pot with litter. The leaves will go right back up to the surface by the next day, depending on how deep you put it. Or let it float, I had a few escapees that like to float around the pond. They did ok, not as much blooming as the potted ones.

Not a bad temp, we started out at 30 this am, f, now 61 f Frost everywhere. I was worried about the new tiny leaves on the trees but they did ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll bet it's not really floating and is growing on the bottom, be it in a pot or au naturale.

Ask a Question