Old Pond, New House, KOI rescue!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I purchased a new to me 1920s Farm House with an old english garden containing a concrete bottom, Brick Koi pond. The pump does not functions and there appears to be no power run to the pond. The pond Has about 20 koi in it some very large some very small. The previous owners left a broken pump that was being powered by extention cord. It appears that pump has been off for a very long time. Pond is now full of algae but Koi are still alive, and being fed. Any ideas on a possible solar pump and filter or how to clean and purify the water. Running power to the pond would be a very long run, about 400ft from house. The pond is about maybe 400 gallons...?? just a guess. I can post pictures at a later date. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated by me and my Koi.

Thanks,
Ryan

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow that is a lot of koi for 400 gallons .Are you going to leave it where it is and run electric to it or build a bigger pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
That is too many koi for that size pond, especially without aeration and filtration. Can you at least get an air pump going and do a partial water change with declorinator?

Do you have a fish hatchery, fish rescue or koi club in the area to help ? I look forward to your pictures.

Reaction score
I think the koi bred at some time since some are very small. I have three very large koi. I would like to keep the pond where it is. I want to look into some solar options for powering the pump/filter system. I will look into some clubs in the area.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ryan
If you really want to keep those fish I would start digging a new very large pond for them and I'd make it closer to the house so you could have power to it as you will need it. If you want to keep just a couple then you could try and restore the old one but you will still need the pump. If the other guy had a pump there must be some kind of power they used. Maybe they just ran a very long extension cord..........who knows. These fish need help now or they could run out of oxygen in that small pond. You sure it's only 400 gals. What are the dimensions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
An air pump would help quite a bit and you could use an extension cord for now. It does sound like they spawned, if there are small ones .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plus solar pumps only work during the day and they need it at night also .

Reaction score
Ryan
If you really want to keep those fish I would start digging a new very large pond for them and I'd make it closer to the house so you could have power to it as you will need it. If you want to keep just a couple then you could try and restore the old one but you will still need the pump. If the other guy had a pump there must be some kind of power they used. Maybe they just ran a very long extension cord..........who knows. These fish need help now or they could run out of oxygen in that small pond. You sure it's only 400 gals. What are the dimensions?

Dimensions are roughly a 6 by 4 foot oval without measuring. about three feet deep

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum thats alot of koi your talking about there .
I'm sorry but a solar powered pump and fountain wont do the job , your going to hae to replace the old pump with one of simmilar pumping capabiliies.
Koi by their very makeup produce large amounts of waste so your filter has to be man enough fo the job .

Dave

Ask a Question