Nick83

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Reaction score
Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
A few weeks ago I decided to move my old preformed pond from it's incompetently placed location in the middle of the yard that has full sun all day and zero shade. Im in Florida, mind you...and as anyone who has put a black preformed pond in the sun all day, it's a recipe for a very unpleasant looking pond water. So I just let it sit out in the yard and mowed around it for a couple of years. After much inspiration from being here after after i built a pond into my front porch deck. I have gained a plethora of knowledge from you all here and now have a beautiful flourishing pond, I decided it was time to dig out that swamp of a pond. Boy am I glad that I moved that pond right next to my deck with the big pond looking over the smaller preformed.
So far it is only home to an unknown amount of mosquito minnows and ramshorn snails. Plants incle one lily a pompom bush/tree and elephant ears.
Thanks for reading my little story of the little pond that could.

Attachments

• 20180717_202210-1.jpg
    20180717_202210-1.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 306

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 the little pond has really grown on me. I think I will keep the mosquito armada of minnows in there and let the frogs make it their own.

Every evening like clockwork I get visited by this toad looking for an easy meal on my front deck. I caught it twice perched on a Lilly pad.

I did however started to dig up an area in my backyard for a 12'x15' pond for some larger fish and a place to transfer plants to that are out growing the smaller ponds. That's a whole other thread I will start soon.

Attachments

• 20180718_112936-1.jpg
    20180718_112936-1.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 278
  • 20180718_005551.jpg
    20180718_005551.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 267

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
@sissy it took me a few years to find a home for my pond that I was completely happy with. Plus I neglected it for so long, i didn't think that there was anything I could do with it until I actually got out and did something with it. Thankfully I am satisfied with my decision .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been pondering the preformed and wish I had never taken it out of the spot 1 was in and given it to a friend .Got the new one at the flea market with lots of stuff in it for almost nothing.Even pumps and an aerator that were still in the boxes

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can score big at flea markets but You can also make to much work for yourself also .,I was thinking of using it to catch water off a downspout near my side porch with the big water feature vase I got the other week .Thinking of blocking the preformed in so it is above ground so if I have to remove it .You can see the vase and my garbage cans .One catchs the water off that small roof
100_4296.JPG

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Very nice, i was looking at water features on amazon warehouse hoping to find something that I could use as a water freature for cheap. I also have that issue with the water pouring off the roof next to my deck and that corner could fill a trash can in no time. Its a weird spot, so if i used a gutter the downspout would just get in the way. 10 minutes of a good soaking rain, there could be 8inches of water around the preformed.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
That's a great idea to use a pre-formed pond as a bog pond. This is in the front of my house and the big pond is out back. Right now im growing some lillies for when I will be able to transfer them to another pond.

Ask a Question