Old Pond new memeber

Reaction score
I have had a backyard pond for about 5 years. Although we have enjoyed it I have not been very careful in its maintenance. It is about 500 gallons that supplies a 5 foot concrete fountain. We usually have about 6-10 goldlfish depending upon the activity of the local heron. Each year it seems that the heron wipes out the population only to find the fish had left behind about as many minnows.

I am looking to re-engineer the filtration system so that it is easily accessible so I will want to clean it out more often. Right now have a box filter that sits in the bottom of the pond with two pumps. One pumps supplies the fountain and the other a uv filter. Here are some of my problems.

1. The pumps last only about a year.
2. The pond get over loaded with stringy algae and i usually end up draining it and cleaning it out about once a year.
3. The box filter I use sits at the bottom of the pond and it is a chore to remove and clean so I usually end up neglecting it.

Goals, prolong the life of the pump, keep the pond cleaner and find a filter solution that is easier to maintain.

I have been looking at Laguna pumps and I wondered what brands should I be looking for.

Your forum seems to be novice friendly and I look forward to the comments and I will be appreciative of any help. You forum is very large so if you know of any past posts that can help please point me there too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and the reason the ponds burn out is because they work at picking up the gunk .They get clogged and burn out faster .I pond filters were never a good idea .Build your own filter out of the pond

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum, ms2fish. What kind of pumps are you using that only last a year?? Are these pond pumps or something sold for occasional use in small fountains? You're on the right track with Laguna, I have one that has been running on an indoor goldfish tub now for at least seven years, with only occasional cleaning. They are good pumps, just make sure it says "Made in Italy" on the box, as some newer Chinese-made Lagunas are having problems.
Check older threads for DIY filter builds, something that sits outside the pond is usually easier to clean. Good luck.
John

Reaction score
Thanks! Haro and Sissy. These are the suncaster, smartpond or tetra you find at Lowes or home depot. Usually about 500-750gph.

I am looking through the threads at the out-of-pond filters. Trying to figure out how. My pod is basically a 5' circle with a big fountain in the middle of it. Not sure what I have room for.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

I built my first pond last spring. I paid about $250 for a pump that had a 1 year warranty from the local nursery. It failed after about 2 months. I returned it with no reciept and they traded it straight across for a different brand that has a 3 year warranty. It has been running since but I am happy to know if it fails I can return it and they will give me a new pump no problem. Maybe you can look for a local suplier with a good return policy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomegr8.gif
ms2fish
Yep you need a better pump. I have a pondmaster pump right now (over 10yrs old and still running)and they are good but looking towards the Laguna's as they are much better on the lower power usage. I had one of those pull up type filters that I made myself from a big pot w/ holes and media fiber in it and yes it was a pain to pull out of the pond. Don't have a filter now but thinking of using my waterfall bowl as one and putting in some fiberglass screen in there to help w/ the filtering. I do partial water changes now and then also and only have goldfish in a 2500gal pond. Some of us use barley straw and kitty litter to help w/ the string algae or get a good toilet brush and just wind the algae around it and pull it out. I like lots of plants in my pond also to compete w/ the algae.

Reaction score
welcomegr8.gif
ms2fish
Yep you need a better pump. I have a pondmaster pump right now (over 10yrs old and still running)and they are good but looking towards the Laguna's as they are much better on the lower power usage. I had one of those pull up type filters that I made myself from a big pot w/ holes and media fiber in it and yes it was a pain to pull out of the pond. Don't have a filter now but thinking of using my waterfall bowl as one and putting in some fiberglass screen in there to help w/ the filtering. I do partial water changes now and then also and only have goldfish in a 2500gal pond. Some of us use barley straw and kitty litter to help w/ the string algae or get a good toilet brush and just wind the algae around it and pull it out. I like lots of plants in my pond also to compete w/ the algae.

Tell me about the Barley straw or litter. I have not read about that. What does that do?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those pumps are ok I have one and love the new ones with the low water feature that turn off so you don't burn out the pump and i got the warranty so they will replace it free for 3 years .But no pump can take the strain of muck in those foam filters .Even what jw says a crate in the middle with a flower bowl in the middle with filter media to clean the pond .

similar to this a crate with something on top

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Barley straw when added to the pond turns to Hydrogen Peroxide which kills string algae and keeps it at bay. Some use the liquid stuff but I would rather just use the natural route and let it dissolve slowly. You can leave it in there till it's gone and it acts as a preventative also.

Here is a link about the kitty litter that people are buying at Wal-mart called Special Kitty and is 100% clay w/ no other additives. Some say it pulls the excess nutrients out of the water. Some of us here use the litter for our potted plants in the pond. Works great and also helps keeps the smaller floating algae out of my pond.

http://www.nfkc.info/nfkconliine/Cat Litter.htm

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard! And yes try to get away from in the pond filtration and move the filter outside of the pond, the ease of maintance is so much better and it gives you a chance to be creative in hiding, plu in most cases you can get far more filtering capacity.

Ask a Question