Old pond, newly started up

Reaction score
We just bought a house that has a 15x20 EPDM pond with a large waterfall and the pond hasn't been maintained or used in 2 years.

We drained and cleaned the pond to get rid of as much leaves and other stuff that collected in it. Once the pond was drained we sprayed a bleach solution on the surrounding rocks to kill off the algae and then rinse everything off and drained the remaining water. We tried to remove any debris behind the surrounding rocks and clean it the best we could.

We just filled the pond back up 2 days ago with city water and it looks much better (we can at least see the bottom now!) but the water is a heavy tint of brown which I figure must be residual debris but not sure. The filter pump isn't picking up anymore large particles but the water remains brown.

I figured that activated carbon might absorb the remaining suspended organics in the water, but how long should it take to see a change? I have about 7 lbs of AC in a 100 micron bag which is sitting at the inlet to the fountain pump and filter. What is the recommended flow rate across the charcoal and how big of perforation bag should be used ? Could there be too much flow since the waterfall pump is a high flow rate pump? Should I be using any chemicals or any other water treatment? I was debating using a light treatment of pool shock chemicals (removing the AC first) but I figured that might ruin any chances of being able to put fish in the pond at a later point.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Reaction score
The brown tint may be from tannins from any debris like leaves, in which case the activated carbon should help remove that. You didnt mention the size of your pond in gallons, so you may need more AC if it truly is tannins.

Also if you are using city water and plan on having fish you will need to dechlorinate the water also. Normally you would want to be careful adding fish right after setting up a brand new pond because the pond will probably not be ready to accept and support many fish until it cycles, which means develops a sufficient level of beneficial bacteria (nitrifiers and sludge reducers) to help in ammonia and nitrite reduction.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.
I wouldn't worry about a little color unless you are making a swimming pool out of this. It is a pond, and ponds that support fish have some tinting to them. My water is very clear, but has some color. You will always have some algae growth on the bottom and sides, get used to it. This is healthy for the fish and makes it look more natural.

Reaction score
ditto with what doc dave says. A slight tint is okay as long as it's clear. I've used carbon and it does work to some extent. But as long as you can stick your hand in and the water looks clear in your hand, you are good. Water quality is more important than water color in the end.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
ditto with what doc dave says. A slight tint is okay as long as it's clear. I've used carbon and it does work to some extent. But as long as you can stick your hand in and the water looks clear in your hand, you are good. Water quality is more important than water color in the end.

I have had the carbon in the pond for 2 days now and don't see any difference. In fact it almost seems to be getting worse? (it could just be me thinking that) I have about 7 pounds in about approx 2000 gal pond. Is this the right amount? How much flow should be going through the carbon? I have a 100 micron bag for the carbon, is this too small of pore bag to allow the water to properly flow through?

Thanks again. :confused:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Give it time, you have a lot of water and whatever is tinting is is now compteting with the activated carbon. You are using activated carbon?

Reaction score
Barley works too for turbid water. In your case you would buy the liquid, which is ready to work and not the barley straw mats, which will have to break down. Places like Petsmart sell the liquid barley extract. Will warn you that it's not cheap.

Ask a Question