old pond rebuild started

Reaction score
As we were digging the pond deeper and reshaping with the sun beating down we decided we were tired and the pond did not need to be longer just add a waterfall. LOL So, this is as far as I got today. My husband was swamped with work and could not help. Now the puzzle of where to each rock.

Attachments

• 100_4457int.jpg
    100_4457int.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 341

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
aww you have extra liner...........dig bigger lol
I can understand the heat, was horrible hot when I was digging mine last year. Only worked until 10 am then had to get back in the house.

looks nice

Reaction score
LOL naw, maybe double line the waterfall. Tomorrow will be cooler so I'll spend more time getting everything looking nice.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks nice, I'm like addy, with all that extra liner I would still be digging. Little hint on your Savio skimmer, Make sure it is 100% square and level, Make sure the top is on and locked into place before back filling around the edges, It's best to back fill around it once it's running and has water in it. Mine the sides pushed in and I back filled with the top off while I was finishing the plumbing. I read that part after that fact...heheh Now my top is hard to put on and and most of the time it sits on there not snapped down.

Reaction score
LOL bigger is not always better...at least that is what I am telling myself. We had to bucket out the old pond by hand, that was a chore, then the digging, another chore. Yes the argument once the work is done you can sit back and enjoy the work, I'll give you that. But with the pond not quite as big as we first wanted it, the skimmer will work better, the pump will give more water over the falls and I will have to lift fewer rocks. ;-)

Reaction score
Fishin4cars, thanks for the tip on the skimmer. I hope to get a lot of rock work done this morning before the rains come and wanted to get the skimmer set up.

Reaction score
yep that is important to be able to sit back and enjoy it...my husband says I spend to much time working in mine and taking care of them....but it is a labor of love and I am enjoying it as I do it.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nova said:
Fishin4cars, thanks for the tip on the skimmer. I hope to get a lot of rock work done this morning before the rains come and wanted to get the skimmer set up.
get it set up but if it starts raining just try to keep any muddy water from getting into the system. don't try and back fill yet, let it settle all it wants before back filling, keep checking for level. If you have something heavy to sit on it while it rains do it! This will keep it in place and allow to settle and keep it from floating up if you don't have water in the filter weighing it down. When you do start back filling around it try and pack as much as you can and as packed as you can in the front side below the skimmer weir. this is the one place that if not back filled completely will cause issues down the road, If the water starts packing the dirt it will push the liner in toward the skimmer box and will pull the liner away from the skimmer face plate. Mine shifted about a 1/8" Not too bad but I wish I had read a little closer and knew a little more about what I was doing when I installed mine, unfortunately I hadn't found this site for help and I had to do that one basically on my own except the wife and a friends help, neither knew anything about building a pond.

Reaction score
I really don't know much about building ponds either, it is all learn as I go. I have watched videos, talked to people, read this forum and instructional sites but when you get out there and start building it just does not seem as easy as it does when someone else does it.

Question...do you add silicone between the skimmer opening along the screw holes and the liner? I watched a video on how to attached the liner to a savio, they did not use silicone but then watched another video and they did use it but it was a different skimmer.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nova said:
I really don't know much about building ponds either, it is all learn as I go. I have watched videos, talked to people, read this forum and instructional sites but when you get out there and start building it just does not seem as easy as it does when someone else does it.

Question...do you add silicone between the skimmer opening along the screw holes and the liner? I watched a video on how to attached the liner to a savio, they did not use silicone but then watched another video and they did use it but it was a different skimmer.

I did, I placed a small bead all the way around the opening, held the liner in place and then added another bead on the front side and installed the front plate. DO NOT CUT THE LINER UNTIL THE FACE PLATE IS FULLY FASTENED!!!!!!!! Also, be carefull when installing the flapper door, those little tabs on the door break kind of easy and are a pain to swap out once the pond is running. make sure it will flap up and down easily and doesn't bind before doing the final instal of the face plate and the cutting of the liner. I had to adjust a couple of times to get mine to move freely.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My husband made a wood frame for our skimmer, buried the legs two feet down, that sucker will not ever move.

Reaction score
fishin4cars, the hole in the back of the skimmer, can you put the flexible hose through the hole and connect it to the pump inside the skimmer or use pvc and an elbow joint put through the hole and connect the hose on the outside of the skimmer?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sorry I missed this till now, I had to run PVC thru mine, I had to sharp of a turn to try to make with flex tubing. be sure and make a way to disconnect somehow for when you need to replace or maintain the pump.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nova I have a savio skimmer as well and used pvc out from the bottom of the skimmer up to my external pump. I did use some black silicone or sealant around the screw holes and all around the face plate on both sides of the liner (just to be safe). Are you going to put in a bottom drain? I did not but would the next time around.

Ask a Question