Old pond with some large leaks

Reaction score
Hi. My sister bought a house last year. It has a really nice pond, but when we filled it up, it was gone the next morning. I have no experience with ponds, so any advice about what to do here would be much appreciated.

The pond is about 2m x 3m and less than 1m deep. Don't really know much about its construction. The photos show the main leaks, but I guess there could easily be more.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 353
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 388
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 378
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It may well be an idea to scrap the old existing pond and instead dig it all out and use a liner because this pond has had its day I doubt very much you'll be able to plug those leaks .
Be aware however to check your water table and act accordingly with drainage if its a high one because it has been known for a high water table to come up under a liner and push it and the water in the pond up and out .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree….don't think those leaks are repairable, without practically rebuilding the pond. This is a wonderful site, filled with information if your sister is interested in starting with a new pond:) Kim

Reaction score
2 options in my opinion.
Best option - Dig out the concrete and put down a liner. This will give you more gallons of water since the concrete is gone, plus you could go bigger or deeper.
Easiest option - Throw down a liner. Done

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Patching the obvious cracks and holes with concrete will slow up water loss perhaps enough to make the pond functional.

Adding a cheap liner over the concrete will last a long time as the concrete shape is going to be sturdy and protect the new liner assuming no dogs, hooves or heavy feet are going to stomp within the pond

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Budget is limited, so maybe I'll patch it, then try a liner if it still leaks and hope for the best.

Should I just use normal concrete? Is there any technique to use when filling?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I will tell you from experience you will be patching that concrete forever. My MIL had a concrete fountain installed - held water for a few years and then it was nothing but leak-patch-leak-patch for the next 25 years. It would hold water for a month or so and then slowly start to empty. We never could pursuade her to add a preform or liner. Eventually she gave up and filled it with dirt and used it as a big planter.

A liner isn't that expensive - bite the bullet once and your sister can spend her time and money in the future on her new ponding hobby!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Go for the liner you can get 20 years of recomended life out of a liner so it would over time pay for itself ten fold.
There is nothing better than chilling by the pond in the summer months with a bit of good music an ice box and some soft drinks ah the life sadly for us its winter at the moment so we have till late April early May to get back out there again :(

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah... Dave. I'm longing right along with you. We have almost 1.5 feet of snow on the ground and temps well below zero. I can just barely make out the shape of my pond! Spring will come... right?

And soup... if money is still an issue I have several ponding friends who have gotten EPDM liner from roofing suppliers. It's the same material used in ponds here in the US, but it's coated with a powder to keep it from sticking. You have to wash it really well before using, but they tell me the price is much much less than if you buy it from a pond supplier. One friend was able to get several large scrap pieces for free from a roofing contractor to use to build a stream - can't do much better than free! Or check eBay or craigslist (if you have such a thing there in NZ) - I personally have a number of large leftover pieces of pond liner I'm trying to give away. You may find others doing the same near you.

Reaction score
I found out about the water table thing the hard way. Not a water table thing, but frost line went down 7 ft this year. So, when I filled my pond, it was a bit too early. I had the waterfall splashing a bit too much and all that water pushed up the liner. I was almost about to order a new liner and dig it all up until I thought about it for a bit. >.<

Reaction score
option 3: remove all the grass/small plants. look for a sealant patch all cracks you can see and any suspicious leakage then paint it with epoxy enamel paint(paint use on swimming pools)....

like what i did to my newly made pond...it was finish last 10th of may and it was leaking 1" per day but last may 21 it turn worse 2" per day so i decided to patch all corners with sealants and repaint it again..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a, 9b
Country
United States
I have leaks too, but my pond is large, 35' long, rock walled I do not think you can liner that.
We have been using WaterPlug, sets in 3-5 minutes, can use underwater, fish are safe as can be

Ask a Question