old unused swimming pool turned into a pond?

Reaction score
those ponds you see in the woods are not "standing" water. They filter naturally...water comes out of the ground to form the pond and filtration is happening. Natural ponds aren't stagnant, nor are they faced with concrete or a liner. We are trying to "mimic" a real pond, but in order to do that successfully, you have to filter it as it is a body of captured water, AND you have to do partial water changes.

Plants help a bit, but not enough to sustain life. If you just want to do no filtration, you can throw some plants in; and then just expect that your water will always be pea green and soupy. You will get mosquitos, so I would use those mosquito dunks you find at home depot. I would not put any fish in something like this. Not fair to the poor fish, who was not destined to live in a non-filtered concrete tank of unkept water.

Chemicals like algae remover will not be useful without water changes. You're wasting your money. Your water is green because it is not filtered properly and maintained to proper levels.

Reaction score
I can see how one would like to have herons until they have fish they cherish. If you like the herons and are not much into the fish thing I would go buy a bunch of feeder goldfish. Throw about 40 in and the population should maintain itself and they will grow fast. The bright colors should attract the herons too. I would also build in some cinder block benches with a stone slab on top for the herons to stand on. Benches should be no more than 12" under the water. They like to stand in the water. Good luck and I bet you will have herons before you know it.

Reaction score
yeah id love to do that and get some herons in my yard but the guys here said that its not fair and might be a health hazard even if i put a bunch of plants in it? Wow the ducks love this dirty pond so much i dont know why they live in it we have a river near heere yet the ducks wanna hang out in this thing lol

someoone said they will give me a bunch of tadpoles i wanted to add them in just to attract fish eating birds but i dont wanna risk my health?? If this is safe id do it.

remember its an old swimming pool so it goes from shallow to deep so the herons can wade in the hallow end just getting their feet covered if they wanted?

Reaction score
Without filtering I don't think I would do it. If you don't ever want it to be a swimming pool again there are plans out there on how to convert it. You basicly seperate the pool via a wall and have one side be your filter and the other side be your pond. Seen some very nice set ups.

Concrete and Rubber lined ponds is not like nature at all and you have to add filtration to mimic what soils, plants, and rain runnoff does for natural ponds. If not, your pool will turn septic and it wont be pretty or smell good.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I call herons, daytime target practice...
Same goes for raccoons, nightime target practice...
They have 3 lakes 2 miles from me to get all the food they want.

Just to clarify, not all target practice leads to the death of an animal...

Reaction score
they are a menace to our pond critters for sure...but no one can deny that they are majestic and beautiful creatures. Their size always amazes me, as does that blue color. Amazing.

Reaction score
wow i am getting mixed signals making me confused lol

i agree tho the fact about shooting herons was shocking to hear a mod say that i mean they are protected birds shooting one is illegal :)

Reaction score
Cateyes, you should be getting a good sense of why this forum is not a good place to look for info on a wildlife pond. There is a difference between a wildlife pond, a water garden and a Koi pond. The only thing in common is water. If you take advice here you will have a completely clear body of water with no plants and several thousand dollars in equipment and Koi. Basically a swimming pool with fish.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
im afraid i couldnt kill a heron or any other bird come to that ...yes it would be terrible if it took my fish (goldfish) but there are ways of detering them ...i have a egret that is now sitting in my front garden in the mornings he she is a lovely bird ... i have made a cover for my raised pond and yes its a bit of an (eye sore) but it works iggy as we have named her can come visit along with the foxes and my fish our safe :0)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Chlorine is a gas, once liberated from water, it no longer poses a threat to anything living in the water.
If anything, it can weaken the O-rings in your pump and shorten it's life.

Ask a Question