Old Windows XP breaking down all the time what do you think of windows 10?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Our old windows XP setup keeps breaking down with the mouse sticking and making this Pc in-operable our IT guy Jon has managed after stuggling for hours tonight to get things going again [thankfully].
However we spent £345 on a new HP 4GB laptop and an HP printer that can print on both sides of the paper at the same time wich is wireless .
I know that one or two members have recentlky gone over to windows 10 my I ask how you are finding it operation wise ?
also your thoughts on this ?

Dave

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I loved Windows XP, loved Windows 8, and Windows 10 is ok. I don't have many complaints about it.
I had to go through tons of privacy settings after the initial switch. They want access to everything.
The only other complaint is that it updates way too often. Seems like everytime I log off or on, it's installing updates. Sometimes I'm in a rush in the morning and need to log on real quick before I leave, and so many times it's in the middle of installing updates so and I have to sit and wait it out. That can be frustrating.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Well was with w xp for years and was very happy, then went to win 7
And loved it. Upgraded my wife comp to 8 and was not impressed they just took away a lot of functionality.
We are now on win 10 and are pretty happy with it.
As mentioned they do update a lot but most of it is sucurity that can be delt with by stopping auto update and setting a day and time to update.

As always it depends on what you do with your comp.
If you do a lot of film editing or picture like photo shop you will be good to go as long as you have a.robust.comp ie
A lot of hard drive space and memory and a cpu i5 or better.

If.you are gaming with high end graphics stay with win 7 pro

I put win 10 on my gaming machine that is built to handle big simulation gaming and it had this studder that I good not figure out went back to win 7 and all is right again.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I tried Windows 10 when they offered the free upgrade. After one (1) week I went back to Window 7. I felt that the Desktop was too cluttered and not easily navigated. Also my browsers Firefox and Chrome were quite unstable. Interestingly Internet Explorer wasn't. Right now I have Window XP on one computer and Windows 7 on the other. Windows XP OS is still available from select sites on the internet. I recently purchased a Dell Optiplex 745 with XP installed for $39.99 total. Won't find deals like that very often.
Check out this link-
https://www.google.com/#q=windows+xp+software+for+sale&tbm=shop

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have windows ten. Had it for a long while. I don't do much on computer cause I am always on my cell or watching Utube on my Smart TV. I just use computer to upload videos to my U tube channel and that's about it....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had a vista and had an xp and had to give up on both .The upgrade does not work good on them .So far windows 10 has been great and cortana is easy to use by talking to her .Most turn her off but I like using her .You do need a mike if you don't have it built in .Also cortana is a big help when you can't figure something out ,you just ask her and she does it for you

Reaction score
If you change it will now cost you money. I switched and have no problem with it at all. What I don't like about the older versions is that they won't be as secure as 10 is. There are programs out there that will make 10 look like some of the older versions. As has been said it just depends on what you are using your computer for and how savvy you are. If you are not a geek then it shouldn't matter what version you are using. When I take my car in they update the software in it. When I leave the dealership it still turns on when I press the start button and drives when I put it in gear. What the upgrades do I have no idea and further more don't care.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
As someone in IT I hate windows 10. Stick with 7 if you can. Microsoft is no longer separating its patches so the large patches its deploying you cannot refuse and have been breaking other hardware and software since they were deployed. Stay away if you can.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I gave in and switched to 10 from 7 and I am happy w/it. You can get rid of all the desk clutter by turning off tons of the apps. My desktop now looks just like win 7. If you want to turn an app on again just go back and change it to on.
Kim Komando's site has lots of good info.I received her newsletters for years for free. Some stuff you have to be a paying member to see but lots of it is free.
Here are a few tips on Win 10. Just take you time and hope this is not too much overload for ya. You can search her site too for more info: http://www.komando.com

http://www.komando.com/tips/318334/5-windows-10-secrets-you-need-to-know-now/all

http://www.komando.com/tips/320246/3-windows-10-privacy-dangers-to-fix-now/all

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/362780/windows-10-settings-to-uninstall-now/all

http://www.komando.com/tips/369873/new-ways-to-take-control-of-apps-in-windows-10/all

http://www.komando.com/tips/321348/3-windows-10-privacy-gotchas/all

http://www.komando.com/tips/370015/3-ways-to-streamline-windows-10-start-menu

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I upgraded my vista and xp and it was not worth the free upgrade and bought a new puter which failed and HP had to send me a new one and new one was less than a year old .I bought it on my ford employee discount sight and no one could beat the price and warranty and extended warranty from Ford

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx for all the infomation everyon with your tips and warniings :happy:
Jon is over tonight to do the switch over and from tomorrow well be on a laptop Its an HP with Windows 10 home 64 operating system . AMD Quad - core A6 proccessor , 4GB RAM , super multi DVD Burner , VGA Webcam (front facing) with Microphone , HD Audio, 1 HDMI port , 1 headphone and microscope combo, 2 USB 2.0, 1 USB 3.0 , 1RJ - 45, 1 multi-format SD card reader
We decided to get an upgrade for the printer out goes our old one and in comes an HP Envy 4250 all in one printer , with USB & wireless Automatic double - sided printing . 100 sheet input tray 360 MHz proccessor 64 MB RAM, windows and Mac compatible PCL 3 5.5cm LCD touch screen .
Unlike our last laptop the one that was stolen in our break in back in 2012 this one will be secured to the desk when not in use .
It will also be covered by the swann security system we installed in 2013 .

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the hp 4250 and got the picture studio with it so I can fix my pics .It can even fix my really old pics from my mom and dad that have faded .I love it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Windows 10 is fail
win 7 is best after xp normal home users may not feel difference if your just doing simple tasks
and xp is good fast it can work with very low ram and processor on older machines but it may have problems with compatibility with direct x and softwares if ur advanced user

Ask a Question