Oleanders near my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just installed my ~625 gallon pond this past few weeks. Finished it up on a Monday. We have had a couple of really windy days. My neighbor has oleanders along our wall and a bunch flowers and leaves blew into my pond. I know oleanders are poisonous to humans but will this hurt any fish I put in my pond? The pic below is before the wind storm.

Attachments

• C2D86E90-A459-4C1D-8C27-49A95C3B8333.jpeg
    C2D86E90-A459-4C1D-8C27-49A95C3B8333.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 161

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Can you post pictures or a diagram that better shows the relationship between your pond and the neighbor’s oleanders? Maybe we can help yo come up with solutions.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze I thought it was a little one but that is huge .I would put window screening over the pond .How long has your pond been there with fish in it .Have you seen the fish go after the blooms and have you tested your water to see if it effects the quality of your water .I know I took down a plant here because it harmed deer .It was some kind of black bean thing that I found out was poison and could harm animals of all kinds ,but it was on my land .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
geeze I thought it was a little one but that is huge .I would put window screening over the pond .How long has your pond been there with fish in it .Have you seen the fish go after the blooms and have you tested your water to see if it effects the quality of your water .I know I took down a plant here because it harmed deer .It was some kind of black bean thing that I found out was poison and could harm animals of all kinds ,but it was on my land .

I haven’t seen the fish go after anything yet. I just have a couple dozen of rosie red minnows for now. I was wondering if the poison would leach from the plant matter and kill the fish or if the fish had to actually eat it. Most animals are smarter than people and know what not to eat. I don’t know if this is true of fish. I just talked to my neighbor about trimming them. I even volunteered to trim them on her side as well.

I just redid this corner. I used to have 3 large palm trees but had to take them out. They were leaning and causing a mess in the pools. It will look better when the plants get established and grow.

Ask a Question