OMG does anyone know what this is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has appeared on my fish over the last few days. It looks like and has the same texture as frogspawn. It is covered. Please help.
C8D9D547-F57F-46E8-8839-69593DF68C9D.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
it does look like eggs....do you see it else where in the pond? If it was my fish I'd gently put it in the cup of my hand and rinse gently with clean pond water. If the spawn is stuck to it, I'd dab it away gently with a damp clean soft cloth...like gauze or a cotton t-shirt.

If you determine it's not eggs, then I would research Saprolegnia (or sap) is a freshwater fungus.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for this. We have given it a good wash but it appears to have big patches of white underneath whatever this is. Maybe treat with a parasite remover?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I would not treat for parasites yet if it were my fish. I'd look into treating for a fungus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My guess is parasites with fungal as a secondary infection. If you could good get a close look, better under a microscope.
Excess mucus or film is generally a sign of parasites.
I think this is very possible and don't want to mis lead the OP with my previous advice. Do you have access to a microscope? maybe there is something that would work o both a parasite and the fungus ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found something that works on both so will give it a try. It looks absolutely disgusting but now we have cleaned it up it isn’t so bad. Poor fish, i hate to see them ill. Thank you again

Ask a Question