Omg my fish jumped out of the pond

Discussion in 'Fish & Koi Talk' started by talal101, May 10, 2011.

1. talal101

talal101

Like half an hour ago I decided to go out and check on the fish like I usually do and I was shocked to find my koi had jumped out of the pond and was on the pavement dried up but still moving his gills...I put him in the pond and he laid on his side for a few minutes before returning to normal upright position...I touch him after 15 minutes ( by this time he was moving around a little bit) and his body was still dry and the dirt was still stuck on...will it go away? And how long should I wait before I can breath knowing he is fine?

talal101, May 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. talal101

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Don't know talal, wish I could give you the magic answer, some do well some don't have to wait and see.

addy1, May 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. talal101

talal101

That's what I was thinking too...I guess if he goes back to normal completely he should be ok but like you said only time will tell

talal101, May 10, 2011
  4. talal101

mouseams

Shouldn't he get into a salt bath?
    Not sure, just figure that might help his slime coat?

mouseams, May 10, 2011
  5. talal101

talal101

I never liked to use salt so I don't have any on hand...I guess I will just hope for the best and wait and see...I have been having the worst fish luck I lost 2 in a week and now this one jumped and now according to sissy bad things come in threes so I should be out of the woods but a positive is that the koi is doing ok

talal101, May 10, 2011
  6. talal101

sissy sissy

never understand that jumping thing in 6 years I have never lost a fish let alone to jumping out and now have put the screening tight on my pond tonight .Better safe than sorry .Bad luck they say comes in 3 's waiting for the next shoe to drop .

sissy, May 10, 2011
  7. talal101

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

koiguy1969, May 10, 2011
  8. talal101

sissy sissy

sorry to here it talal but the pet stores do sell stuff to help a fish with his slime coat also .

sissy, May 10, 2011
  9. talal101

j.w I Love my Goldies

Sorry again talal and I wonder why these fish do this strange thing. Is it a spawning thing like salmon jumping up the falls. Hmmmmmmmmm, don't get it. I've never had a goldfish do it but I've heard that the shubunkins will do it. Hope he makes it ok talal.

j.w, May 10, 2011
  10. talal101

mouseams

I have been dealing with flashing and jumping for the last three days. Now that I have the ph up and alkalinity to where they should be I just wish I knew how many days before it slows down. Good luck with him. Will be hoping for the best!

mouseams, May 10, 2011
  11. talal101

talal101

Koiguy: it was just a regular domestic koi white with blue orange red and black...thanks guys I hope he will do ok I will keep an eye on him and I guess whatever happens is meant to be..I mean me just finding him is fate lol

talal101, May 10, 2011
  12. talal101

talal101

He wasn't one of my dearest fish so I am calmer about it then I would be if he was but if he survives he sure will become one of my favorites

talal101, May 10, 2011
  13. talal101

RSFish1

If it is jumping out there is a reason for it. Has it been in the same pond for years or has the layout changed. Many times Koi will jump out in a new environment.
    Have you checked the water paramters or added any new fish? The most likely cause right now is that his skin is irritated with either some bad water quality or a parasite. The third possibility is spawning. But I would imagine it is a little early for that in Canada.
    Watch closely the area where he was laying on the ground. It can very easily become infected. After a day or so inspect him real well. If you start to see any redness or infection on the surface think about wiping it down with some peroxide. Some stress coat treatment or some salt would not be a bad idea either.
    Unfortunately sometimes a fish like this will keep jumping until you do not catch them in time. Check your water paramters. And if it keeps jumping out in the same area, put some plants in the water around that edge to discourage the behaviour.

RSFish1, May 10, 2011
  14. talal101

koidaddy karps house of koi

I hope all is well with him. I had one jump out the other day. I had just put a pump in to circulate the pond water and my biggest male(@10") was swimming into the current and just got airborn with excitement. Luckally I was out checking on my new puppy when I saw it happen. I picked him up and put him back in quickly. He is fine thanks to my puppy. None have jumped since.

koidaddy, May 10, 2011
  15. talal101

talal101

i had just put them into the pond the day before and he jumped out..and im not sure about breeding season considering he is the only koi with goldfish and yeah the water is at 60 or a bit higher so not sure..other then that the pond has cycled for around a month before i put them in and yeah koi daddy i had a similar experience because i wasn't sure if i wanted to go and check up on them and just by chance i found it at the last seconds before death thank god. i did examine him and his skin has become slimy again except for a little bit on top of his body but he has very little redness from before so i think he is fine

talal101, May 10, 2011
  16. talal101

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Great tala glad to hear

addy1, May 11, 2011
  17. talal101

j.w I Love my Goldies

Whew.........what a relief eh talal :nono:

j.w, May 11, 2011
  18. talal101

talal101

Well for some reason he relapsed and is now dead or very very close to death....I am actually quite upset about all of this but I learned my lesson and no more koi for me....I love my goldfish and I don't want to go through with this again. I just wish he never jumped and this reminds me of when my cat was taken away from me without any control over the situation.I'm actually quite upset and I could almost cry...my stomach is quite heavy and this really sucks but bright side is that my prized fish are still alive so that's good thank god for that.

talal101, May 11, 2011
  19. talal101

vertigo72

Talal, have you tested your water? Its quite likely the koi jumped out because the water was killing him, rather than he got got killed because he jumped out. FWIW, when my pond drained accidentally, Ive had a Koi laying on concrete for at least 2 hours, and possibly as much as 6, he recovered fine.

vertigo72, May 11, 2011
  20. talal101

CometKeith

Hey talay, it's possible there was not enough oxygen for him. Usually fish jump because they are uncomfortable. They don't think of the consequences!

CometKeith, May 11, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question