Omg my fish jumped out of the pond

Reaction score
Like half an hour ago I decided to go out and check on the fish like I usually do and I was shocked to find my koi had jumped out of the pond and was on the pavement dried up but still moving his gills...I put him in the pond and he laid on his side for a few minutes before returning to normal upright position...I touch him after 15 minutes ( by this time he was moving around a little bit) and his body was still dry and the dirt was still stuck on...will it go away? And how long should I wait before I can breath knowing he is fine?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't know talal, wish I could give you the magic answer, some do well some don't have to wait and see.

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too...I guess if he goes back to normal completely he should be ok but like you said only time will tell

Reaction score
I never liked to use salt so I don't have any on hand...I guess I will just hope for the best and wait and see...I have been having the worst fish luck I lost 2 in a week and now this one jumped and now according to sissy bad things come in threes so I should be out of the woods but a positive is that the koi is doing ok

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never understand that jumping thing in 6 years I have never lost a fish let alone to jumping out and now have put the screening tight on my pond tonight .Better safe than sorry .Bad luck they say comes in 3 's waiting for the next shoe to drop .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to here it talal but the pet stores do sell stuff to help a fish with his slime coat also .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry again talal and I wonder why these fish do this strange thing. Is it a spawning thing like salmon jumping up the falls. Hmmmmmmmmm, don't get it. I've never had a goldfish do it but I've heard that the shubunkins will do it. Hope he makes it ok talal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I have been dealing with flashing and jumping for the last three days. Now that I have the ph up and alkalinity to where they should be I just wish I knew how many days before it slows down. Good luck with him. Will be hoping for the best!

Reaction score
Koiguy: it was just a regular domestic koi white with blue orange red and black...thanks guys I hope he will do ok I will keep an eye on him and I guess whatever happens is meant to be..I mean me just finding him is fate lol

Reaction score
He wasn't one of my dearest fish so I am calmer about it then I would be if he was but if he survives he sure will become one of my favorites

Reaction score
If it is jumping out there is a reason for it. Has it been in the same pond for years or has the layout changed. Many times Koi will jump out in a new environment.
Have you checked the water paramters or added any new fish? The most likely cause right now is that his skin is irritated with either some bad water quality or a parasite. The third possibility is spawning. But I would imagine it is a little early for that in Canada.
Watch closely the area where he was laying on the ground. It can very easily become infected. After a day or so inspect him real well. If you start to see any redness or infection on the surface think about wiping it down with some peroxide. Some stress coat treatment or some salt would not be a bad idea either.
Unfortunately sometimes a fish like this will keep jumping until you do not catch them in time. Check your water paramters. And if it keeps jumping out in the same area, put some plants in the water around that edge to discourage the behaviour.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I hope all is well with him. I had one jump out the other day. I had just put a pump in to circulate the pond water and my biggest male(@10") was swimming into the current and just got airborn with excitement. Luckally I was out checking on my new puppy when I saw it happen. I picked him up and put him back in quickly. He is fine thanks to my puppy. None have jumped since.

Reaction score
i had just put them into the pond the day before and he jumped out..and im not sure about breeding season considering he is the only koi with goldfish and yeah the water is at 60 or a bit higher so not sure..other then that the pond has cycled for around a month before i put them in and yeah koi daddy i had a similar experience because i wasn't sure if i wanted to go and check up on them and just by chance i found it at the last seconds before death thank god. i did examine him and his skin has become slimy again except for a little bit on top of his body but he has very little redness from before so i think he is fine

Ask a Question