OMG! Texas Aquarium Loses Fish Due To Parasite Treatment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yikes! Wonder what they will find happened wrong in that large aquarium, since it said they tested the medicine on a smaller tank with no ill effects. Sad, very sad ...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is so sad, it brought tears to my eyes. I hope they can find out why this happened. All those beautiful fish gone :(

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The video isn't playing for me for some reason......

Do they say what they treated with and for what reason?
They didn't say, but I think they did say it was a "new" treatment. I think it was for a parasite. Apparently, they test-treated a smaller tank and there were no harmful effects.

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I bet it was a concentration miscalculation, like they used it on a smaller scale and then when they tried using it on a larger scale, they over calculated and put too much in. That, or they had another chemical in the water already that dissociated into other parts and they then put this chemical in and it reacted with the products of the other chemical and created something toxic.

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
According to a separate news report that I read, they were treating for internal parasites. As Tai said, apparently the dosage was miscalculated.
Darn, that is really sad. I don't mean to be harsh and yes it was an honest mistake, but you would think that a place responsible for caring for such delicate creatures would be more careful.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks for sharing TM, Not because of what happened, but because I hadn't seen this. These kind of accidents happen, and they are extremely difficult to handle sometimes. It would be interesting to interview the employees that love their job how they were responding and dealing with such a catastrophe. I can think of a few times I made a major miscalculation, or got distracted and forgot a valve, or hose. Very sad story and wonder what actually happened and if they will make it public when they do.

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It was also a new medication. How often do we see new medications producing unexpected results.
seems to me like someone was sleeping on the job here. I don't even use anything I am not 100% comfortable with in my aquariums, can't imagine doing that in a tank with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of fish!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Tai, Do you know exactly how many gallons your pond is, I mean exactly? Do you have one kind of fish or multiple kinds, Do you have anything in the pond that has metal? Have you used ANY medications since the last 100 percent water change? It only takes missing one part of the formula to make this kind of mistake. I used a medication I have used in the past with no problem, one thing changed, I used it when there were only koi in the pond, This round I HAD a channel catfish. Didn't even think about the medication reacting to it. Found it dead and all the Koi gasping. If I had not walked out early in the morning and found the dead catfish I may have not noticed that the Koi were under stress. Public aquariums have strict guidelines, but even the most experienced staff will and are going to miss something from time to time. I know it seems like someone made a VERY bad call, but in reality, it could be that what is learned from that mistake will lead to helping hobbyist like you and me from making that same mistake. At least they have the money and resources to find out what happened, why, and what can be done to prevent it in the future. It's a new medication they were trying, Can you imagine what it would be like to go and try every medication to see how it reacts in your personal pond until you found out what worked and how many fish it killed until you found the right concentration that it worked with out killing. So keep in mind, what seems to be in your eyes someone sleeping on the job, may actually be the someone that is preventing us from making the same mistake in our ponds. Always two sides to every story. Especially in keeping fish!

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Tai, Do you know exactly how many gallons your pond is, I mean exactly? Do you have one kind of fish or multiple kinds, Do you have anything in the pond that has metal? Have you used ANY medications since the last 100 percent water change? It only takes missing one part of the formula to make this kind of mistake. I used a medication I have used in the past with no problem, one thing changed, I used it when there were only koi in the pond, This round I HAD a channel catfish. Didn't even think about the medication reacting to it. Found it dead and all the Koi gasping. If I had not walked out early in the morning and found the dead catfish I may have not noticed that the Koi were under stress. Public aquariums have strict guidelines, but even the most experienced staff will and are going to miss something from time to time. I know it seems like someone made a VERY bad call, but in reality, it could be that what is learned from that mistake will lead to helping hobbyist like you and me from making that same mistake. At least they have the money and resources to find out what happened, why, and what can be done to prevent it in the future. It's a new medication they were trying, Can you imagine what it would be like to go and try every medication to see how it reacts in your personal pond until you found out what worked and how many fish it killed until you found the right concentration that it worked with out killing. So keep in mind, what seems to be in your eyes someone sleeping on the job, may actually be the someone that is preventing us from making the same mistake in our ponds. Always two sides to every story. Especially in keeping fish!

Good sir or madam, although I suspect sir.

Those are all very easy questions, I have exactly 0 gallons, 0 fish, 0 metal, and I never used any medications in any of my aquariums, EVER, in 15 years (this one is a serious answer).

Now to stop being a sarcastic little jerk, I can understand what you are saying, I did say in a previous post that I know it was an honest mistake, I however still maintain that they should have been more careful. They are dealing with the lives of many many creatures and should have stuck to something proven or taken extra precautions.

I know I make it sound like it was easy for them or that they were never careful, but I know they were, I just get upset to see so many creatures killed because of a mistake that humans made. I know I seem like I am too forward or insensitive because I know they are probably feeling the loss even more than me. Even more than that, you bring forward an excellent post about them finding medications for us the hobbyist.

This is not an attack on the staff there or attack on anyone, just a little fart (myself) getting upset about a sad loss.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I never ever use any treatment for my fish in all the 24 years of running my ponds non stop. I have discovered over the years that if the water and the pond is healthy, then the fish will be healthy for the most part. Many years ago when I was younger and had fish in tank and tried to treat them for ick they seemed to die off faster with the treatment. Now the only thing I use is Pond Peat extract for fungus and minor infections. It does not harm the ecosystem of the pond and it helped a small fish that I had last year that had developed fungus from an injury. It looked bad for a while, but I never moved it out of the healthy pond, instead I just used the pond peat concentrate for whole pond system as it is good for everything. I am very lucky too cause I rarely have sick fish and no dead fish for years. I think it is due to the way my ponds work, all the biggest fish are in the upper connecting ponds cause they need the cleanest freshest water. I keep only small fish in the bottom pond as that pond gets the dirtiest as everything flows down stream.
I also think the reason I have so much success is because I leave the pumps and filters running all year round, that really helps keep the ponds clean and I never have to take them apart to clean cause they are always clean. I only clean the filters and scoop waste at pond bottom with net, and add fresh water every other day very slowly and a little at a time.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
that was horrible that all the fish died. I never would have done that to such a big tank. It would have been better to let the odd one die off naturally to save the rest of the fish. Most of the treatments are very toxic anyway.

Ask a Question