OMG what did I promise my wife???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey guys. Here's a fun little story for ya. For years now we have had a nicely manicured back yard but nothing in it besides a couple of bird feeders. We've been wanting to do more for quite a while. My wife wanted a pool, but I wouldn't give in to that demand. We tossed around the idea of raised planters or garden, but neither of us has a green thumb (mine is actually the black thumb of death). Finally, I saw a few water gardens/koi ponds when we went to a few home & garden shows and I may have accidentally made a promise that I would build one in our backyard, thinking it was both cheap and easy (hahaha). Fast forward a couple of months and I finally committed to my promise. After a little planning, I went and bought this last night
https://www.halfoffponds.com/Koi-Pond-Kit-p/2690.htm

I have settled on about 8x11x2.5 with a 3.5-4 ft waterfall feature. There won't be any fish initially. We will likely add some goldfish after I figure out that I actually built something functional and it doesn't leak or have other unforeseen disasters. So in come the million questions as I journey down this soon to be addictive road.

1) I know rocked in ponds aren't the most popular thing, but being in Oklahoma, once I dig the hole and shelves, are they going to maintain their shape if I don't hold them up with rocks along the liner walls? Without pouring any cement, are there other suggestions to keep the shape or will the soil here hold up?

2) I am having a dedicated circuit run out to an area behind the waterfall. How far from the ground should I have the electrician put the outlets? I want to be able to hide it (a hollow rock mold that can be put over the top or something like that), but didn't know if there's other things to consider that I'm not thinking of. [side note: To start with, the only thing that will be plugged in will be the skimmer pump and a couple lights].

3) Rocks! So many cool, pretty, and heavy rocks! But I have no idea what kind I can and can't use. So far, all I know is limestone is a big no-no.

4) Plants... I'll ask about this mess later.

Reaction score
1) I know rocked in ponds aren't the most popular thing, but being in Oklahoma, once I dig the hole and shelves, are they going to maintain their shape if I don't hold them up with rocks along the liner walls? Without pouring any cement, are there other suggestions to keep the shape or will the soil here hold up?
Best thing is to look at lots of pictures and videos of ponds and see what appeals to you and try and emulate that design. Personally, I like the use of rock around the edges and on the shelves to hide the liner at the shoreline. If you have particularly loose soil and you want more of a quick drop off in your pond you can use retaining blocks to hold back the soil under the liner.
Post some pictures or videos of ponds that you find online and we can get a better idea what you like and want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@addy1 - ha ha!!

Welcome Warner to the wonderful world of ponding :) When you went on the home and garden show, was it put on by a pond or koi club? If so, they may be able to answer questions about your soil.

Whenever you add fish, you'll need to consider some type of filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welcome and good luck with you new hobby! There's loads of information here. Any unanswered questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are so many helpful and friendly members here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

I’ll counter what @Riftlake said with this - a bottom drain is definitely not a necessity and especially if you’re planning a garden pond vs a dedicated koi pond. And rocked ponds are no more or less popular - just another pond building choice. Many people (far smarter than me) will tell you that the rock and gravel
In the pond is valuable as a place for the beneficial bacteria to colonize.

Keep reading and asking questions - lots of helpful, friendly people here!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Warner1281 OMG what did I promise my wife???

Years of enjoyment from the pond once the hard work is done. Our pond is one of the best things we ever did to the yard and we both enjoy it on a daily basis. I for one think it was worth the hard work. You can go rocked or not, really up to you. Both style ponds can be problem free. Mine happens to be non rocked on the bottom and you can see the build in our showcase.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/rob-amys-pond.7/

You have a great resource on this forum

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
So much to learn young Jedi. Actually I’m only a whopping 5 months ahead of you. Lol. Hum i’ll Take one I know. IF you get a good electrician, tell he/she your plans and requirements. As far as hiding things electrical, we’re pretty good at it. Think about any future plans while they’re there. Wire is cheap compared to roll out fees. I personally would plan your pond for filtration and construct it with that in mind. You are going to have a zillion questions. My advice to you is spend an hour here and there on this site whenever possible and just read. There are ponds here from 35 gallons to ... well let’s just say IMMENSE. They all have a lot in common however. You can dig a hole and put water in it. That is maybe 1% of the hobby from what I have learned. The Newbie sub forum is a great place to start firing those questions. Enjoy! Oh yeah, buy a good shovel and give it a name.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
So excited for you both!!!!!! Watch The Pond Digger on youtube. Eric Triplett is a wonderful teacher and has tons of video tutorials. Broken down into different segments. I watched his How To Build a Fish Pond a gazillion times!!!!!! He taught me everything I know about how to build a pond and it turned out great!!!!!!
IMG_4008.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for the kind words (even had someone PM me some encouraging words)! I've already gone through the pond diggers videos, but thank you for that suggestion. Definitely is a great starting point. Not to steal anyone's ideas, plans, etc, but after designing this in my head, it most resembles this one from one of your members here at the garden pond in both size and design. Not sure what plants we're going with, but that'll come later.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/cass-pond.44/

As for the bottom drain... I thought about it, but this will not be a koi pond. At most it will have a couple gold fish. I'm not opposed to doing some maintenance to keep it clean, so I *think* I'm okay in that respect. If and when I go bigger, a bottom drain will definitely be a must.

I got the kit in the mail yesterday, so I'll probably start the process next week. I'd do it this weekend, but since the wife is getting her pond, I'm getting a motorcycle! lol. I'm going through the basic rider course for that Fri-Sun, so won't be digging until we get that important stuff out of the way, haha.

@bagsmom I love it! Definitely adds some scenery to the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
One thought I will share, FYI -- I do not have a bottom drain. I have a skimmer, which keeps the larger debris under control. I have a bio-falls waterfall filter and added the bottom drain-out tube option at the base of the waterfall receptacle. (Pond Digger shows it in his fish pond video.) For my pond, I really like this EASY way of doing a small flush out. When I'm doing some general maintenance -- cleaning the skimmer basket and hosing out the pad -- I have the pump turned off. While I'm doing my pond chores, the grunge, crud, and funk sort of settle to the bottom of the waterfall receptacle. I will mosey over to the gate valve and open it up -- stanky brown water comes out a ways away. Hose is hidden under pine straw and my hydrangeas seem to like the icky water!!!! Anyway, I just close the valve, walk back around to the pond and make sure my skimmer is all back together, and turn on the pump again. Then I top off the pond with about an inch of water. Easy peasy!!!!!!! For my particular set up, this seems to work really well!
(And thank you!)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have no bottom drain, very seldom clean the bottom of the pond. Every time I think of doing it there is not that much junk down there to mess with.

Ask a Question