One koi laying on his side

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I live in Salt Lake City and have a 5000 gallon pond with 7 koi. I have a bottom drain aerator running and the pond has not iced over. One of my koi is laying on his side and then swimming a bit. I just tested the water and everything looks ok. Not sure what to do. Any advice? Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Add air add lots of air I got lucky once i place it in a small area where a waterfall was between the air and current it healed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The temp change will probably shock the fish on top of what ever is already affecting your fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Add air add lots of air I got lucky once i place it in a small area where a waterfall was between the air and current it healed
There is a 6 inch drain aerator running as well as the waterfall. Do you think I need more air? Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like you have plenty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Is it just the one koi who appears unwell ? Is it a large koi , or newer to your pond? I once knew someone who had something similar happen and it was the first winter for that koi and it didn't tolerate the cold well. The koi recovered once brought inside for the winter. You'd have to bring the fish inside with pond water and air stones and allow the water to come up to temperature gradually, so as to not shock the fish.

Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is just the one. this is his second winter with us, though it has been a bit colder this year. I may bring him in with the pond water. Thanks!

Ask a Question