One more thump on a 'dead horse'.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ran across this chart while reading a recently released paper on Aquaponic systems.One more version of how to figure fish load.
This one should raise some eyebrows!

fish stocking rate chart.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Would you be able to share the aquaponics paper that you came across?
I have an aquaponics system and I'm interested in additional information.

- and to translate a bit (correct me if I'm wrong) - a 14 centimeter/5.5 inch fish requires 4 liters/1 gallon per centimeter/3/8 inch
So for example, a 20 inch fish requires 50 gallons of water and an additional gallon of water for every 3/8 of an inch over the 20 inch length.

That's not very much room.

I consider aquaponics systems to have a higher relative surface area to water volume ratio for waste processing biofilm than a typical pond would have. I've seen a lot of fish crammed into a small space in aquaponics setups.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Would you be able to share the aquaponics paper that you came across?
I have an aquaponics system and I'm interested in additional information.

- and to translate a bit (correct me if I'm wrong) - a 14 centimeter/5.5 inch fish requires 4 liters/1 gallon per centimeter/3/8 inch
So for example, a 20 inch fish requires 50 gallons of water and an additional gallon of water for every 3/8 of an inch over the 20 inch length.

That's not very much room.

I consider aquaponics systems to have a higher relative surface area to water volume ratio for waste processing biofilm than a typical pond would have. I've seen a lot of fish crammed into a small space in aquaponics setups.

Here is the link, Mitch.
http://animalsciencejournal.usamv.r...ic-system-based-on-an-ornamental-aquarium-341

You have figured correctly. Aquaculture systems utilize even denser stocking levels than what this chart advocates. Whether one is speaking of aquaponics, aquaculture or garden ponds, sustainable fish load computations should be the same provided ample biofiltration (and flow rate) is supplied.
Interestingly in this article I could find no reference to flow rate which is all important no matter the system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks.

Aquaponics flow rates are restricted by the bell siphon drain and fill process.
I have a low flow pump (200gph) running my setup and the 50 gallon media beds are refiled and drained every 15 minutes. If I increased the flow much more, the bell siphons would cease to function properly. I could probably push the circulation rate to 800 gph. Total water volume is approximately 200 gallons.
Each media bed is similar to a trickle tower used in pond filtration, so an aquaponic setup is very capable and efficient at processing fish waste.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Ran across this chart while reading a recently released paper on Aquaponic systems.One more version of how to figure fish load.
This one should raise some eyebrows!

View attachment 87379
I have seen aquaponic systems before but I think they had prawns in them and not fish. Seems like a really neat idea but I'm not sure how much work it would involve or if the results would be worth it compared to conventional hydroponics for the average setup.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Aquaponics is very little work to maintain.
Hydroponics is more work but much more productive because you are not limited to what chemicals you can use to maximize plant growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Aquaponics is very little work to maintain.
Hydroponics is more work but much more productive because you are not limited to what chemicals you can use to maximize plant growth.
Any chance at looking thse media beds and your ebb and flow system Mitch as it sounds rather interesting.

Dave

Ask a Question