One of life's great mysteries

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Went outside after lunch to clean up around the pond and get ready for Old Man Wi.... (sorry, can't get myself to say that out loud). 50 F out there, and that water sure feels COLD on my arthritic hands! Anyway, I have several tubs with waterlillies to sell next spring, and one tub had the sad remains of this year's water hyacinths, so I decided to toss these on the compost heap. As I pulled one out, a small fish darted for cover, and, curious creature that I am, I decided to empty the tub and see what was in there. Did I mention that the water is COLD? Anyway, to make a long story slightly shorter, I came up with about a dozen 1 1/2" to 2" fish, half of which were your standard run-of the-millpond common goldfish, and the rest of them were SHUBUNKINS!!! Now, I DO have 13 shubies in my pond, but at no time were they ever in that tub! Furthermore, the lillies came from my own pond (two years ago) and some were from a friend (also two years ago) who has NEVER had shubies in his pond! The babies are DEFINITELY this year's young! None of the water in the tub came from the pond, so that rules out moving eggs from there. Frogs go back and forth from pond to tubs, but I doubt they would move that many eggs. So the only solution I can come up with is, in the dead of night, my shubies crawl out of the pond and off into the tubs for a little hanky-panky! If anyone has any better ideas, I'd like to hear them. :confused:
John
P.s. Did I mention that the water is COLD?? :eek:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
fish-jumping-from-one-bowl-to-other.jpg

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Thank you, Lou. The CA?
John

Help my old gray cells better understand what you mean by "The CA?".

Does CA stand for:

Calvert Alabama
California
Chapped Ass
Covert Assigment
Covert Artist
Converted Atheist
Chocolate Apple
Christina Aguilera
China Airlines
Canned Apricots
Canned Air
Canned Ass
Canned Again
Con Artist
Canada, is it Canada?

Louis

Last edited:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I am pretty sure the tooth fairy drives a tiny motorcycle and I've never been able to find that thing either. Good luck John, those fish are pretty crafty bikers. (Didn't mean to derail any serious responses)
Oh and congrats Dad on the fish babies. :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thank you. My first-ever shubie babies, and they are really good quality. :love:
John
And don't worry, my serious side got derailed long ago! :D

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
You're not going to tell me what CA means are you John? You're just going to leave me hanging like old suit in the back of the closet. I can handle it. Oh for heavens sake what does it mean? I'm crying John. A grown man crying! Hope you are happy John..............no, no, no.......didn't mean to anger you John...is it the great pumpkin Charlie Brown?....oh I'm so confused.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You're not going to tell me what CA means are you John? You're just going to leave me hanging like old suit in the back of the closet. I can handle it. Oh for heavens sake what does it mean? I'm crying John. A grown man crying! Hope you are happy John..............no, no, no.......didn't mean to anger you John...is it the great pumpkin Charlie Brown?....oh I'm so confused.
In your first post (#3), you stated "the CA is running." tbentl solved the mystery in post #8.
John

Ask a Question