one of my fish is hurt

Mif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so, I rented a new house and was given a pond with 12 fish (now 16 because we bought more) and it was murky and horrible. after multiple weeks of working, cleaning filters and going to pond stores for multiple water treaters, we've gotten it clear and got the filter to do its job. (this could've been very stressful for the fish, so it might help)

now we can see clearly inside the pond we've noticed out biggest fish has two problems:
1. there is a wound near the base of the fins. (there is a picture)
2. there is a few green spots on it's head that look like fungi

I need help with the wound on its tail because I don't know what to do, but if anyone has any ideas about the fungi I'd love to hear them. we've ordered a formula made to help with fish infections and are hoping that'll work.
IMG_4599.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum. Those that have koi will chime in with treatments.
I only do goldfish

Don't add anymore fish you might introduce disease. And how big is your pond, how is it filtered? What are the water tests results? You might need to buy a water test kit, API makes a great one, liquid.

Mif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our forum. Those that have koi will chime in with treatments.
I only do goldfish

Don't add anymore fish you might introduce disease. And how big is your pond, how is it filtered? What are the water tests results? You might need to buy a water test kit, API makes a great one, liquid.

My post is 280cm x 100cm x 60cm, and adds up to about 1,680 litres (369 Gal), and is filtered with Kockney Koi KF 5000v Multi bay filter (screenshot attached). I just did a water test for kh gh and ph. GH- 5 KH- 40 pH- 8.5. last time I checked on the nitrates they were both under 20 and 0.5 respectively. my dad says that we should leave it to settle and the KH and pH will drop (I wouldn't trust him, we're both beginners)
Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 14.54.19.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What kind of fish? I’m thinking you’re overstocked. Koi need 1000 gallons, each, goldfish need 60 or so once full grown. Get a large plastic container, a tote or kiddie pool, fill with pond water, add a small pump and remove your injured fish for singular treatment. Melafix is one I’ve used with good results, but good water conditions and time will fix the wounds. The big concern would be the infection going on. Watch all your fish closely, the others may catch it and need treatment too.

Mif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What kind of fish? I’m thinking you’re overstocked. Koi need 1000 gallons, each, goldfish need 60 or so once full grown. Get a large plastic container, a tote or kiddie pool, fill with pond water, add a small pump and remove your injured fish for singular treatment. Melafix is one I’ve used with good results, but good water conditions and time will fix the wounds. The big concern would be the infection going on. Watch all your fish closely, the others may catch it and need treatment too.

I don't know what kind of fish the one I'm having trouble with is but I know that almost all the other fish are a type of goldfish except another Tench we have.
and thanks for the help, I'll be doing that by tomorrow hopefully.

Mif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I just found out it may be a blue orfe (according to the landlord). I checked a few images and it seems to match it

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may want to do some research regarding the types of fish. Blue orfe can get to be 24" and require a large pond with a lot of aeration. Is the landlord helping you at all with the pond or did he just leave it for you to take care of?

Mif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You may want to do some research regarding the types of fish. Blue orfe can get to be 24" and require a large pond with a lot of aeration. Is the landlord helping you at all with the pond or did he just leave it for you to take care of?

we've just been left alone but we're happy to do anything to make the fish survive. and I probably should look up the full sizes of all the fish but there's nowhere for them to go if their water space isn't good enough.

Mif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
update on the fish's health
a noticeable lump has appeared on the back which has a yellow tint, and you can clearly see there's something wrong. my parents decided to not take it out and are saying that if they put the medicine in the pond that it'll fix everything.

here's a photo I took a few minutes ago.
IMG_4625.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Medicine will not help this fish.
You need to establish what the water quality is, fix it and feed the fish. In that order.

Mif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my parents and I have considered salt baths to try and improve it as we don't have the things to help the pH and KH yet. would it be a bad idea because of a weakened immune system and the harmful minerals in the water?

Ask a Question