One of my purchased tadpoles is now a full frog! Do I need to do anything?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a VERY small "pond" (water feature) that is approximately 35 gallons, and I threw a few purchased tadpoles in it. I've been watching one of the tadpoles as it grew legs, but it seemed to have "disappeared" about a week ago. Well, yesterday, I discovered a frog (small, but definitely no longer a tadpole) in that pond. I'm assuming it is my tadpole friend who has now grown into what I THINK is a green frog (it has ridges down its back and a semi-pointed snout, so I think it is a green frog, not a bullfrog) . :)

I have seen at least two other tadpoles still in that same pond, one of which I think is a toadpole because it is small and pure black.

Do I need to do anything to help my frog friend thrive in my pond/water feature?
  • I did build a rock pile on one side of the pond so the frog can climb out, and I also laid a small broken tree branch there as even more of a bridge.
  • The pond has a decent amount of organic debris at the bottom.
  • The pond has some plants that are trying to grow, but they aren't doing all that well yet this year. I have two water hyacinths, a small lily, some creeping jenny, some struggling pickerel weed, and some frogbit.
  • Around the edges of the pond are liriope, Jacob's ladder, calla lilies, Virginia bluebells, an azalea bush, and a peony bush. The edge of the pond is about six inches above ground, so the plants around it are more for decoration than filtration. Still, there are places to hide if the frog leaves the water.
  • I don't use ANY pesticides or herbicides (other than mosquito dunks in the stroller water features), so there are lots of bugs to eat.
  • I have TONS of birds that visit my yard daily, but they are all small-to-medium songbirds (chickadees, sparrows, cardinals, finches, wrens, nuthatches, etc.). I hope they aren't a threat to the frog?

I know in a large pond, nature will provide, but because my water feature/pond is so small, I wanted to make sure I dont need to do anything to help my new frog friend.

Thanks for your help! :cool:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He will make t on his own .He will eat any thing in the pond that lives .Mosquito larvae are a staple for most frogs .If he does not find anything in your pond worthwhile he will move on .But plant roots can harbor all kinds of things frogs like to eat .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wanted to make sure I dont need to do anything to help my new frog friend.

Frogs aren't super picky. They need food and water, and definitely like having plants to blend in with.
You'll want plants that attract plenty of pollinators from spring through fall. I always recommend native plants.

Even still, my frogs come and go. Some have stayed up to two years. Some stay for a month or two.
Early last summer, they all left. It was strange having no frogs for a couple months. Then, in late summer, I had a bunch of new frogs move in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Frogs aren't super picky. They need food and water, and definitely like having plants to blend in with.
You'll want plants that attract plenty of pollinators from spring through fall. I always recommend native plants.

Even still, my frogs come and go. Some have stayed up to two years. Some stay for a month or two.
Early last summer, they all left. It was strange having no frogs for a couple months. Then, in late summer, I had a bunch of new frogs move in.

Thanks! Throughout my yard, I have TONS of native plants, and I usually have swarms of bees, butterflies, moths, and birds, as well as a few wasps and a few dragonflies. So far this year, I've only seen carpenter bees, a few honeybees, and songbirds, but I'm hoping the other insects and birds will be around soon. :)
My pond itself doesn't have many native plants, though it is full of plants!

Ask a Question