One Sick Fantail

Reaction score
Hello,
I did a water change about a month ago and three days ago, a mix breed fish that was born in my pond died. It was bloated and had red bulging eyes, but no pine cones so not sure if it was dropsy or not. I had seen it swimming tail up and behaving erratically a couple of day prior.

Today I discovered a five year old fantail behind the filter box in bad shape. I had tested the water and found the ammonia to be 4 ppm. I added 6 oz of amquel + to my 362 gallon pond.

I suspect one of three things:1) the fish has a baterial infection and the lesions along the base of the dorsal fins are just that;

2) the fish was trapped and those are rub marks where it was trying to free itself;

3) the fish was attacked but somehow escaped the clutches of the predator.

What do you think?:beerchug:

Attachments

• Sick Fish Pics Good.jpg
    Sick Fish Pics Good.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 345
Reaction score
If the ammonia is 4ppm, your water changes are not frequent enough. Once a month water changes are not often enough--especially in a hot area like Atlanta. When water has ammonia, you don't add chems, you do water changes.

I would do a large water change of about 40% in this instance and dechlor properly. Treat the pond with salt temporarily to help build up a heavy slime coat. Do 20% water changes every week or two (preferably every week if it is very hot).

It sounds like you are saying that you have a filter in the pond? Are you aerating your pond with an air stone? Please describe your filtration to us.

Your photo is very small as it is only a thumbnail, so it's very hard to see the fish up close. Can you upload a larger photo possibly?

This fish does look in tough shape.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have posted some better pics hopefully. My filtration is a waterfall that runs 24/7 and a biofilter on 24/7. These are running on two separate pumps.

I do think aeration may be it. I usually have added two or three plants by now, but have not this year, except for one.

The other fish seem healthy and are active and feeding.

I have had this pond for five years and have never lost a fish, so this is new to me.

The fish is still alive but floating upside down and sporadically swimming. Should I take it out? Could the high ammonia levels be attributed to this dying fish?

Attachments

• Sick Fish Pics 51.jpg
    Sick Fish Pics 51.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 350
  • Sick Fish Pics 50.jpg
    Sick Fish Pics 50.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 327
Reaction score
I would shocked to see this fish survive. If it is swimming upside down and it has raw meat showing, please do put it out of it's misery humanely. This fish has to be suffering.

Plants will not add enough aeration solely. You need an air pump. Please do an immediate water change and then keep them up each week. It's hard to tell if the fish suffered a predator attack from the photos. I do see blood marks on the botom, which could be from being bhind the filter box. But that dorsal fin area being completely raw could be that something tried to grab it, or it could be a result of the 4ppm ammonia.

Your biggest concern now is lowering that ammonia or the other fish will certainly succumb to it. Water changes are going to be the only fix for that issue.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree that this Koi should be humanely put down. I use ice water then freezing to do it painlessly.

Water exchanges and a thorough cleaning are in order and a review of your bio filter wouldn't hurt.

Reaction score
I really am glad I found this forum. Thank you.

I humanely put the fish down this morning and began a 40% water change. One question I have is what is the proper procedure for adding the water conditioner/heavy metal neutralizer as I refill with tap water. In the past I have just added the dose at the beginning and have never had a problem. Is there a better way?

Do you recommend an air stone/difusser? My pond is essentially a rectangle shape of 90X42X22 with the waterfall in one corner and the filter pump at the other end. There is also a shelf which reduces the volume to @362 gallons.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
The Saga Continues....

I just completed a 40% water change which brought the ammonia down to 2
ppm. I will do it again tomorrow, I guess. I checked the ph and it is at 9!!!!

I added Microbelift PL yesterday but it hasnt taken effect yet, I guess. Should I use phDown?

I took a day off from work to battle this. Any ideas?

Reaction score
the tap water is testing at a ph of 8 and about .5 ppm ammonia.

I visited my local pond store and with the heat here in atlanta, there are lot of ponds with high ph. I added some bunches of hornwort and a large gallon hardy lily. I also gave a dose of ph down.

The other fish still seem to be doing ok.

I visited my local pond store and they advise with the heat here in atlanta, there are lot of ponds with high ph.

I will do another 50% water change tomorrow. Anything else you can think of?

Thanks again.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Make sure you use a declor that takes care of cloramines, that is probably why you have ammonia reading from the tap. Ammonia will raise the PH.

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about a Ph at 8 or even 9 if it's consistent. If you don't have spikes and that's your standard, that's ok. You said that the fish did fine for 5 years. Do another 40% change tomorrow and see if you can get that ammonia down even further.

Please tell us how this fish has been behaving today. How are your others doing?

Ask a Question