One Strange Koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have one pure black koi which is so hard for people to see being he never ever comes up. He's basically in stealth mode. I know how to find him so I can follow him along the bottom. He's healthy as can be, 3 years old and had him from my son in laws indoor tank when he was1-1/2 " in length. Now 3 years later, he about 10", smallest of my koi as some are 24".

So, my question is, he has to be eating something but all my food is floating, all my koi come up in a feeding frenzy and he remains scouting around the bottom.

Any suggestions out there as how to get this fellow to top feed. He swims with the pack when they go back down. He's not a loner, except during feeding. If I throw some sinking food in, the big guys with beat him to the punch. Bizarre !!!

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hand fed mine from the beginning so never had a problem with loners .Even the goldfish will eat out of my hand .I know mine love watermelon have you tried holding a piece in your hand .Could you maybe single him out and put him in a tank a teach him to feed from your hand that way

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I hand fed mine from the beginning so never had a problem with loners .Even the goldfish will eat out of my hand .I know mine love watermelon have you tried holding a piece in your hand .Could you maybe single him out and put him in a tank a teach him to feed from your hand that way

I do hand feed them and they do eat out of my hand. He just stays down there. Funny you say that as like Pavlov's dog,
I considered netting him, confining him to something, not sure what ... within the pond, maybe attached to the side and he
would be forced to eat the food at the top. Could condition him, just a thought ... " Is that crazy " ? .... lol ....

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
And your positive he is a koi? I only ask because a hybrid can look just like a koi and be black as night,I have one like that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
And your positive he is a koi? I only ask because a hybrid can look just like a koi and be black as night,I have one like that.

He's fine, swimming and growing ( slow ) for 3 years. Hybrid? Hmm, wouldn't think so from his body type and certain physical traits but that's a hard call sometimes, wouldn't you say?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If it has barbels it is a Koi. Sounds to me like he may be a genetic reversion and is exhibiting the bottom-feeding trait that Carp are known for. I would not worry. He is getting food.
What I am about to say may gross-out some readers, but consider this- the digestive system of a carp is about 16% efficient. This means that 84% of the food that is eaten comes out the other end relatively unchanged. This sinks to the bottom. This is what you black Koi? and all the other fish, for that matter, are feeding on when they are rooting around the bottom of the pond. Even if you have a bottom drain, this half-eaten food stays long enough to be eaten....again! And again! And maybe again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If it has barbels it is a Koi. Sounds to me like he may be a genetic reversion and is exhibiting the bottom-feeding trait that Carp are known for. I would not worry. He is getting food.
What I am about to say may gross-out some readers, but consider this- the digestive system of a carp is about 16% efficient. This means that 84% of the food that is eaten comes out the other end relatively unchanged. This sinks to the bottom. This is what you black Koi? and all the other fish, for that matter, are feeding on when they are rooting around the bottom of the pond. Even if you have a bottom drain, this half-eaten food stays long enough to be eaten....again! And again! And maybe again!

That was an awesome answer Meyer. Gross for us, not for Koi. Yes, he certainly has the barbels and all aspects of a koi. I knew koi were bottom feeders. I guess he can't break the habit. He's healthy and happy so we won't try and fix him. Possibly he is smaller due to less food eaten as Peter said. makes sense. Probably could do the Pavlov dog gig and isolate him so he would learn the food is above but let's see what he does this year. Thanks for the answers ....

Ask a Question