One week old fry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just need some advice please,built a pond at start of may added 3 shubinkins and 2 comets and hey presto seen about 10 fry this morning,would I need to transfer them in to a tank or let nature do it’s own thing and keep fingers crossed,the pond is 12 foot long and 5 foot width and 3 feet deep with well stocked plants.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi Dessie- you can just leave them in the pond. Fry are very good at hiding, you may be very surprised at how many you end up with.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Put my mind at rest thank you,they all swimming around with other fish like they have been in the pond for years

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh, I see you've thought this one out! haha!
so they think
I made a fish trap and pull out 3 or 4 EVERY DAY just as I think i'm getting ahead of the game I find smaller fry swimming around . my pond is what 3 months old where fish have been swimming around and I have four fish that are a good 4inches long already and theres no question who the parents were. then theres others all the way down to fry. crazyyyyyyy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks sissy hope your right

Hi Dessie. Welcome and good luck with your new fish and pond. Nature finds a way to balance itself out. If you never add new fish or remove any you will find out how many fish is good for your pond. About 6 years ago I decided I was happy with my 6 or 7 fish and stopped buying new fish. Well now I have about 10 times that amount! Some years I have had 20 babies and some years just one or two. The more fish you have the more the fish will hunt the eggs and fry and eat them and the fewer will survive, and if you lose fish to disease or predators the fish population will replenish itself on it's own. I have found my strongest and healthiest fish are those that were born in the pond and survived,and they have best adapted to the conditions of the pond whereas other fish I have added since then weren't able to do as well. My largest goldfish is like the third or fourth generation from my oldest goldfish. Enjoy your new fish. I hope most of them make it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dessie. Welcome and good luck with your new fish and pond. Nature finds a way to balance itself out. If you never add new fish or remove any you will find out how many fish is good for your pond. About 6 years ago I decided I was happy with my 6 or 7 fish and stopped buying new fish. Well now I have about 10 times that amount! Some years I have had 20 babies and some years just one or two. The more fish you have the more the fish will hunt the eggs and fry and eat them and the fewer will survive, and if you lose fish to disease or predators the fish population will replenish itself on it's own. I have found my strongest and healthiest fish are those that were born in the pond and survived,and they have best adapted to the conditions of the pond whereas other fish I have added since then weren't able to do as well. My largest goldfish is like the third or fourth generation from my oldest goldfish. Enjoy your new fish. I hope most of them make it!
Thank you everyone for all your kind input,very good advice,will wait and watch and keep you informed thank you again

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I have not added fish in years, see fry now and then, but over the years some have survived, some have not.
I tend to not feed the fish during spawning time, they then inhale the eggs. Good population control.

As it gets closer to winter I start feeding them again fluff them up for winter.

My sort of method has kept the population under control, pond a long way from overcrowding.

Ask a Question