One year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I did it (thanks to all of your suggestions), my little 250 gallon pond as been up and running for one year. Ran the water fall ALL winter (Zone 7) even during the coldest temps. It was a HORRIBLE winter. I lost one fish but never found it during the spring clean out. Lots of pond plants have kept and are keeping my water nice and clear. My 5 gold fish and occasional frog seem to be just fine. I have quilt batting but gave up using it. I am running all water through three layers of Matala mat blue filter material. It does not catch all the fine particulates but...hey, the water looks clean. I still want to enlarge my pond but I am afraid of messing with success. This is a great forums (I have told others about it) so thanks again.

Rich

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Congrats! And hey, if you had that much success and enjoyment from a 250 gal pond, just think what you could do with a bigger one. After all, those goldies are going to grow, and chances are you'll have babies..... So....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Congrats on one year! I keep my pumps going all year now too. I think having good water circulation is really beneficial in every season. If you found the "secrets" for success for your current pond then it's likely you will do fine with a larger pond if you get the urge!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well done Rich really pleased for you , I note your from Philly which I visited in 1980 on the Aircraft Carrier HMS Bulwark on which I was Quater Master just prior to our leaving Philly our ships 4 boiler's caught fire which took seven and a half hours to gain control of with the help of the Philly fire department .
They had expected us to abandon ship but we Brits are made of stern stuff and a few weeks later we limped back to th UK but we had a fun time whilst in Philly and found the people really nice

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads