Only lily pads no flower. Why?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
So here it goes, I bought this lily from a plant nursery in April. It was very small at that time with 3-4 leaves of 5-6Cms. And putted it in a 30liter tub with the same planting bag it came in.
IMG_0660.JPG

Then after spending 3months in tub, transplanted it into the pond in that 18'x10'x10' container with new clay soil and 19-19-19 NPK.
IMG_1285.JPG

Right from the day I had put the lily into pond.It started giving leaves after leaves but no flower.
IMG_1293.JPG

And the leaves getting bigger and bigger of diameter more than 12 Inches.
IMG_1315.JPG

Now I think in few days it will be able to cover the whole pond with just 3-4 leaves.
IMG_1326.JPG

Leave the pads aside, what I want most are blooms, where are they?
I've checked its crown today, no flower bud, only 4-5new leaves coming down there.

Whats wrong...do I need to change the fertilizer or the plant need to grow more before it bloom?

Attachments

• IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 365
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, Those leaves are huge and the plant looks very healthy. Do you use fertilizer tablets?

I have no idea why your not getting any blooms but @addy1 will probably be able to help you out with that answer. She has tons of beautiful lily plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Wow, Those leaves are huge and the plant looks very healthy. Do you use fertilizer tablets?

I have no idea why your not getting any blooms but @addy1 will probably be able to help you out with that answer. She has tons of beautiful lily plants.
No tablets, I've spread some cow manure & powdered NPK fertilizer in the bottom of container.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Per @MitchM Do you know the name of the plant [scientific would be the best info]?

Some lilies are known for their pad production, and some are known for their abundant flowers. Also, I have learned that MOST plants spend their first year/season just getting adjusted and it might take a year for them to produce.

Have you added any plant fertilizer to the soil? Lilies require a lot of nutrients, but they have to be fed via their roots as they don't take food directly from the water. Also, if this one [which is lovely, BTW] is in its original pot or container, you might want to give its roots more room by repotting it. Most of us use something like a shallow, plastic pan that's used for auto oil changes. I don't know what stores or items you have available there, but this is what I got at Wal-Mart.
image.jpeg

They need a shallow pan rather than a deep pot.

Have patience! You're off to a great start!

EDIT: Ooops! I just looked at your pics again, and you do have the lily in a nice pan. Disregard my comments!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Have you added any plant fertilizer to the soil?
I've spread some cow manure & powdered NPK fertilizer in the bottom of container.
EDIT: Ooops! I just looked at your pics again, and you do have the lily in a nice pan. Disregard my comments!
Glad that you liked that pan. Its made out of the bottom half of a black jerry can. Previously I was using it for pansies during last winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have fertilizer that is in tabs or spikes? Stick some in the soil. I have never used a powdered fertilizer, not sure how well it will stick around. I use osmocote which is pellets of slow release fertilizer.

The leaves make it look like a tropical lily. When I had one it grew a lot of leaves before it started blooming.

Here is some info from the net

http://victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies/fertilizing.html

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 How can you tell from the pads? Is it the ruffles or the size? I've only had one tropical and I do recall it was prolific with pad production, then once it flowered, it was prolific at making cute little baby lilies -- lots and lots of babies, LOL!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't have any tabs or spikes. No fertilizers are available here made specifically for lilies/lotus :(
One thing you can do if you don't have tablets or stick fertilizer [and I think I learned it here] is take a piece of paper towel, wrap something like Osmocote granuals in a wad of the paper towel, then stick that down in the soil -- just be sure it's deep enough and covered by the soil so it doesn't float back up. But what you're doing with the fertilizer on the bottom of the tub is probably going to work, as well. As others have said, just be patient and give it time.

Ask a Question