Only one fish left

Reaction score
All my goldfish but one have been taken (raccoon? heron?) or died (swim bladder issues?) These goldfish lived and reproduced for several years so I don't know why some have died. My question is: what to do with the one left? re-home it? (but don't want to pass on any disease etc). Start all over with the tiny feeder fish they started as? Any thoughts?

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
All my goldfish but one have been taken (raccoon? heron?) or died (swim bladder issues?) These goldfish lived and reproduced for several years so I don't know why some have died. My question is: what to do with the one left? re-home it? (but don't want to pass on any disease etc). Start all over with the tiny feeder fish they started as? Any thoughts?
Is this the 60 gallon pond? Can you post a picture of the pond? Need more details, filtration, water quality, is there runoff from the yard into the pond in heavy rains, etc.

Reaction score
It is a 60 gallon; I run the Pondmaster190 filter continuously and clean the black media once a week. There is some run-off but we do not use pesticides and when we fertilize it is far away from the pond. I have never tested water quality but was told by a fish guy that the fish reproducing was a sign of a healthy pond. Mostly I want to know what to do with the one poor,lonely fish.
IMG_2892.JPG

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nice looking pond. I think fish will spawn under stress as much as they will spawn in good conditions but I'm no fish expert but did however stay at a Holiday Inn Express. ;) You will probably get tired enough of hearing a recommendation to get a quality test kit; about $25 online for one designed specifically for the needs of a pond. Make sure it is the liquid and not strips if you decide to give in.
Regarding the fish, I'd make sure it and the pond are healthy and add 1 or 2 more as you seem to have enjoyed the pond. I have a screen zip tied to 1/2" PVC not glued making a tent to protect from predators and leaves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Sounds like you got a predator issue. Time to net the pond before adding more fish.

Reaction score
Nice looking pond. I think fish will spawn under stress as much as they will spawn in good conditions but I'm no fish expert but did however stay at a Holiday Inn Express. ;) You will probably get tired enough of hearing a recommendation to get a quality test kit; about $25 online for one designed specifically for the needs of a pond. Make sure it is the liquid and not strips if you decide to give in.
Regarding the fish, I'd make sure it and the pond are healthy and add 1 or 2 more as you seem to have enjoyed the pond. I have a screen zip tied to 1/2" PVC not glued making a tent to protect from predators and leaves.
Thank you: I dug the pond myself. Rock hard dirt and I wouldn't let my husband help! I made a framework of PVC that I put netting over. I also use door screens that I get at Habitat Restore for a dollar or so. Whatever took my fish knocked everything over which made me think it was a good-sized raccoon.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like you could drive some stakes in the ground around the pond and attach the netting rim tightly to those stakes and then perhaps the raccoon won't be able to get in there. I had to put a wire fence around my bathtub pond and latch chicken wire over that to keep them out of that one.

IMG_8441.JPG

IMG_8280.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It was netted but whatever it was knocked over the fence, the netting, the potted plants.
Ooohhh remove the netting and place an electric fence. They aren't expensive and they will stop that behavior..

Option b is to trap the cultprit.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice looking mares tail! JW

Yep that's the first time I got it and it looks pretty good in the bathtub pond. The newest bunch I put in the big pond looks pretty ragged so no pictures of that till it looks better.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Damn, they looked like nice goldfish. Anyone know what kind of goldfish they are? Really nice colors

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They do look nice. Big ole pregnant momma looking right at the camera. I think my fish are being stalked. My pooch went darting out to the pond, unlike her, early dark 30 this morning. The other day water all over side and a tear in the screen. Also seeing some small downy feathers. A few weeks ago 2 bald eagles were fighting over something one had in its talons and dropped it. Also cooper hawks, an occasional red tail, osprey and maybe a stray cat, know we have some possums, raccoons and even fox in our area.

Ask a Question