Ontario, Canada - Thinking of installing a small, kiddie pool pond in my backyard as a "frog pond".

Reaction score
Country
Canada
After a brief Google search, I was led to this website. I'm from the Niagara (Ontario) Region. Our winters can be a bit harsh at times.

Having said that, I've been thinking about buying one of those big kiddie pools from Canadian Tire (the 59" one), and getting started on a mini-frog pond, for my backyard. Nothing special. Just me digging up a small patch in my backyard, fitting the kiddie pool in & dropping some plants (which ones, I'll inquire about later) into the pond.

I've seen some Google images of people who have used such kiddie pools as frog ponds, but I thought I'd do some more digging around before I buy anything. Out of the gate, I'm not looking for anything elaborate. I'm just looking for something small & simple.

First question : Would I need a pond heater for winter?
Second question : Does this pool look like it'll work? (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/round-wading-pool-59-in-0813474p.html#srp)
Third question : Can you recommend some plants to put in my pond?
Fourth question : I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question but....would I need to buy any tadpoles/frogs, or will nature just find a way? I've seen wild frogs in my backyard before.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

The deeper the kiddie pool the better. I am not sure if any frogs that decide to winter in the pond would survive. If they don't you could just let it freeze up.

Most of the time frogs will just show up. They sure did here.

If you have mosquitoes you would want some water movement.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum!

The deeper the kiddie pool the better. I am not sure if any frogs that decide to winter in the pond would survive. If they don't you could just let it freeze up.

Most of the time frogs will just show up. They sure did here.

If you have mosquitoes you would want some water movement.
Thanks for the greet. :)

The preformed kiddie pools are only 12" deep. Do you think I'm better off just digging a hole about 36" deep & using pond liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the greet. :)

The preformed kiddie pools are only 12" deep. Do you think I'm better off just digging a hole about 36" deep & using pond liner?
yes

smilie-sword-twirl-masked.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1638121585474.gif
@YMS_1975
I'd go w/a liner as those pools can crack and become uneven in time. A good liner can last a very long time and you can go deeper w/one.

1638121702404.gif

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forums, neighbour. Those wading ponds are not designed to stay outside over the winter; they tend to crack, especially if the contents freeze solid, which they probably will. Having said that, frogs (and toads) will use any small water source to lay their eggs. Toads need a slanted board or similar structure so they can get out after the orgy, or they will drown. Frogs will spend the summer, then go find a more appropriate place to overwinter. If you're leaving it over the cold months, I would SERIOUSLY recommend a liner!
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, welcome, and “yes” to using a liner. But even if it’s just for a froggy pond, be sure to get one of a good material. Regular PVC or “plastic” won’t hold up over time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I remember seeing a How To Build a Frog Pond video from The Pond Digger on YouTube. I liked what he did and how he did it. But he is in California - so there are probably different weather concerns to think about in Canada.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I remember seeing a How To Build a Frog Pond video from The Pond Digger on YouTube. I liked what he did and how he did it. But he is in California - so there are probably different weather concerns to think about in Canada.

I saw that one, too! He built it with his son. He did use a liner though - I don't think I'd waste time trying to sink a kiddie pool in the ground. With a liner, your hole can be dug as deep, as irregular, as big as your liner - and your muscle - will allow. With any kind of preform you'll spend scads of time making that hole just perfect. And ultimately it will crack anyway - it's inevitable.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Of the three preforms I had, nice thick should last plastic stuff, two cracked big time over winter. All yanked, hole dug deeper, liners put in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
preformed are designed to be PORTABLE that's there advantage they don't need support for them to hold there shape tge trade off is they do not last long in hot or cold weather. Rubber or hpre need support help thus great choice to put in the ground. You don't need to make the hole fit the liner the liner will fall right into place in the hole.

Ask a Question