oops!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
wondering if anyone would know how to repair the power cord on a small circulating pump? I was trimming back some of the plants and cut the cord about 4 foot from the pump. It was unplugged at the time I cut it. Did you know a power cord and tree branch look a lot alike sometimes? Hoping to be able to repair since the pump was new this spring

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get some wire strippers, strip the wires, marry them up. Twist the same wires together, solder with a bit of solder, or get those wire connectors Tightly wrap with electric tape.

Wrap each wire,. Then wrap the entire cord, couple inches below the cut to a couple inches above the cut.

been there done that...................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Get some wire strippers, strip the wires, marry them up. Twist the same wires together, solder with a bit of solder, or get those wire connectors Tightly wrap with electric tape.

Wrap each wire,. Then wrap the entire cord, couple inches below the cut to a couple inches above the cut.

been there done that...................
Thanks much. I will do that. Just wondering if this repair is waterproof?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks much. I will do that. Just wondering if this repair is waterproof?
Well I have a few out in the yard that have been running for a few years repaired that way..................... And my husband is an electrician. He LOVES electrical tape!

Me doing it, I would wrap real good, maybe even stick a small piece of pvc over the break and tape that tight also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
wondering if anyone would know how to repair the power cord on a small circulating pump? I was trimming back some of the plants and cut the cord about 4 foot from the pump. It was unplugged at the time I cut it. Did you know a power cord and tree branch look a lot alike sometimes? Hoping to be able to repair since the pump was new this spring

Get some shrink wrap. Home depot has it. You slide it over the cord before connecting and soldering the wires and then heat the shrink wrap after putting over the wiring. I usually put some on each side so I can double up. Works great! usually you can buy and assortment. I have a shrink wrap kit.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There is also a product called liquid tape. Thick black goo that you paint on. Grey underground cable looks like raspberry cane. Cut the supply line to my ponds with a pruning pole a couple of years ago!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks. My son is an electrician which is why i have electrical work waiting to be done.
lol my husband lives here, always waiting for electrical work to be done................. sometimes I just take over and do the few things I can do without being cooked by it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
lol my husband lives here, always waiting for electrical work to be done................. sometimes I just take over and do the few things I can do without being cooked by it.

I was a jeweler, designed and executed pieces I designed by hand since a kid.Also did repair work. Retired 4 years ago. I do construction, plumbing, electrical and fix toys for the grandkids, you name it ... lol ... Regardless what it is, I seem to know how to do it. It's definitely innate, not completely learned. In college I took engineering and business.
So, let me know, I do you electric ... hahaha .... I'm never bored and my wife always gets things done as I do it. Being a hospice nurse 3 days a week, she rather spend the other days with the kids :) ... and me, but mostly them ...lol ... It's all good!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I was a jeweler, designed and executed pieces I designed by hand since a kid.Also did repair work. Retired 4 years ago. I do construction, plumbing, electrical and fix toys for the grandkids, you name it ... lol ... Regardless what it is, I seem to know how to do it. It's definitely innate, not completely learned. In college I took engineering and business.
So, let me know, I do you electric ... hahaha .... I'm never bored and my wife always gets things done as I do it. Being a hospice nurse 3 days a week, she rather spend the other days with the kids :) ... and me, but mostly them ...lol ... It's all good!

Yikes ... I meant " your electric " .... I think faster than I can type! ..... " She'd rather " Guess I should correct before I hit send :) ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If the repaired connection will be submerged, I would cover the repair with shrink tubing and then coat the whole repaired section with Flex Seal until you can't see it anymore. You can find Flex Seal at any hardware store. Yes the infomercials are cheesy, but the stuff does work.

I would not trust shrink tubing alone on a submerged connection.

Ask a Question