oops!

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by snoozer, Oct 10, 2018.

1. snoozer

snoozer

wondering if anyone would know how to repair the power cord on a small circulating pump? I was trimming back some of the plants and cut the cord about 4 foot from the pump. It was unplugged at the time I cut it. Did you know a power cord and tree branch look a lot alike sometimes? Hoping to be able to repair since the pump was new this spring

snoozer, Oct 10, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. snoozer

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Get some wire strippers, strip the wires, marry them up. Twist the same wires together, solder with a bit of solder, or get those wire connectors Tightly wrap with electric tape.

Wrap each wire,. Then wrap the entire cord, couple inches below the cut to a couple inches above the cut.

been there done that...................

addy1, Oct 10, 2018
    MajorDan and Tara like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. snoozer

snoozer

Thanks much. I will do that. Just wondering if this repair is waterproof?

snoozer, Oct 10, 2018
    MajorDan likes this.
  4. snoozer

Well I have a few out in the yard that have been running for a few years repaired that way..................... And my husband is an electrician. He LOVES electrical tape!

Me doing it, I would wrap real good, maybe even stick a small piece of pvc over the break and tape that tight also.

addy1, Oct 10, 2018
    MajorDan likes this.
  5. snoozer

snoozer

Thanks. My son is an electrician which is why i have electrical work waiting to be done.

snoozer, Oct 10, 2018
    MajorDan likes this.
  6. snoozer

barryian

Get some shrink wrap. Home depot has it. You slide it over the cord before connecting and soldering the wires and then heat the shrink wrap after putting over the wiring. I usually put some on each side so I can double up. Works great! usually you can buy and assortment. I have a shrink wrap kit.

barryian, Oct 11, 2018
    MajorDan, addy1 and snoozer like this.
  7. snoozer

snoozer

Thank you for another option.

snoozer, Oct 11, 2018
    MajorDan and barryian like this.
  8. snoozer

mrsclem mrsclem

There is also a product called liquid tape. Thick black goo that you paint on. Grey underground cable looks like raspberry cane. Cut the supply line to my ponds with a pruning pole a couple of years ago!

mrsclem, Oct 11, 2018
    MajorDan likes this.
  9. snoozer

Stephen Noble

I would hand it to your son and tell him a home cooked meal awaits after he repairs the pump!

Stephen Noble, Oct 11, 2018
    MajorDan likes this.
  10. snoozer

lol my husband lives here, always waiting for electrical work to be done................. sometimes I just take over and do the few things I can do without being cooked by it.

addy1, Oct 11, 2018
    MajorDan likes this.
  11. snoozer

barryian

I was a jeweler, designed and executed pieces I designed by hand since a kid.Also did repair work. Retired 4 years ago. I do construction, plumbing, electrical and fix toys for the grandkids, you name it ... lol ... Regardless what it is, I seem to know how to do it. It's definitely innate, not completely learned. In college I took engineering and business.
    So, let me know, I do you electric ... hahaha .... I'm never bored and my wife always gets things done as I do it. Being a hospice nurse 3 days a week, she rather spend the other days with the kids :) ... and me, but mostly them ...lol ... It's all good!

barryian, Oct 11, 2018
    CometKeith, MajorDan and addy1 like this.
  12. snoozer

Hubby a good man, just tends to ummmmm say get to it later.................

addy1, Oct 11, 2018
    GBBUDD, barryian and MajorDan like this.
  13. snoozer

barryian

Yikes ... I meant " your electric " .... I think faster than I can type! ..... " She'd rather " Guess I should correct before I hit send :) ...

barryian, Oct 11, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  14. snoozer

LarryM

Another easy way to waterproof is to coat the whole area with silicone cement or any type of bathroom tube sealer material.

LarryM, Oct 12, 2018
  15. snoozer

Brian B

If the repaired connection will be submerged, I would cover the repair with shrink tubing and then coat the whole repaired section with Flex Seal until you can't see it anymore. You can find Flex Seal at any hardware store. Yes the infomercials are cheesy, but the stuff does work.

I would not trust shrink tubing alone on a submerged connection.

Brian B, Oct 13, 2018
    barryian likes this.
  16. snoozer

CometKeith

Hi. I was a jeweler for 25 years and also in construction a long time.... but the only thing I ever did myself was change watch batteries as a jeweler, and make keys and pick up supplies in construction! I usually let professionals do what they are best at instead of me goofing something up!

CometKeith, Oct 13, 2018
    barryian likes this.
  17. snoozer

barryian

Agreed! I didn't realized this was going to be submersed so definitely coat the shrink wrap well several times with Flex Seal. Infomercials are so cheesy, one would never think it would work but, yes, it does. I assume you have a GFI just in case
    I was actually a jeweler for 40 plus years since I was 15. learned young, went to school and still came back to jewelry. Had my own store locally where I lived. When I mentioned construction, electrical, plumbing etc, I meant around the house or for my kids, not for a living. What made you change? Did you work in someones shop?

barryian, Oct 13, 2018
    CometKeith likes this.
  18. snoozer

CometKeith

Hi Snoozer . Sorry to hijack your thread!
    Hi Barry. I got into jewelry when I was still in graduate school in the late 70's and took over the family business which I thought was going to be temporary because my father became sick. At that time I knew actually nothing about jewelry and started selling thin gold chains at $1/in. The first year doing that I sold almost $1 million dollars of thin gold chains and charms! Later we moved into buying gold and I went to the GIA and received my diamond and colored stone degrees and the store moved full force into diamonds and engagement rings etc. I tried taking some classes in doing jewelry repair, but I was always busy in the store doing sales so I never really had time for it. About the same time we were selling a lot of engagement rings I started buying residential properties to rehab and rent out. After doing that for a while in the mid 90's I started developing new construction projects with some partners starting with single family houses and then doing as many as 50 units a year until the crash. At the same time I was still buying rental properties and rehabbing those and renting out apartments. I was doing all this simultaneously for about 8 years and I finally closed the jewelry store because there was too much profit in the real estate stuff compared to the store and the store was too time consuming. When i closed the store it was sad because you really become part of your customers lives as they plan out purchases. i had one couple buy the next 5 years of gifts because they couldn't see themselves going to another jeweler. I always like creating things as a jeweler, but once you were done you wouldn't see the ring unless the customer came by. When I was involved with working with the architects and creating housing developments I could always drive by and see them anytime I wanted! I still see them and actually recently went to help some folks at a 31 unit townhouse development I built. After the crash I helped banks with their REO's and now I just do gut rehab and construction as that is something I always supervised when I was a real estate developer and am very familiar with.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    CometKeith, Oct 13, 2018
    barryian likes this.
  19. snoozer

Ronfire

If it is not submerged I would just put a plug on it and run a good quality extension cord.

Ronfire, Oct 13, 2018
  20. snoozer

GBBUDD

When it comes to an electrical pump that will run constantly I would recommend getting a water proof plug and installing at the cut or replace the cord.
    The wife always says you make it LOOK so easy . so she gives it a try and that usually doesn't last to long. But says the same when I tell her it's on the list.

GBBUDD, Oct 13, 2018
    barryian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question