Opaque Film on Farm Pond in Queensland

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

I recently moved to a property with a round pond about 25m in diameter and about 1.5m deep. When we moved in the pond surface was like glass but now the surface has a coating or film on it that you can't see through.

Stirring the water shows clear water underneath. Interesting the water wasn't as clear a couple months ago, it was kind of murky.

There isn't an areator or any evidence off one being used in the past.

My wife said she saw small fish in it but I haven't seen any.

I'm told the pond was created building a wall and digging a bore hole that feeds it.

I appreciate any ideas on what is going on and any actions I should take.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Pond Film.jpg
    Pond Film.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 236
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It looks like a surface bacterial film that will be preventing gas exchange, so I would be getting some water circulation going in the pond, one way or another.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It looks like a surface bacterial film that will be preventing gas exchange, so I would be getting some water circulation going in the pond, one way or another.

I started Googling pond aerators, then realized I might be able to use the irrigation pump that is already installed at the pond. My thought is to disconnect the line going to the gardens and hook up another hose pointing over the pond so the water splashes back into the pond. Previous owner might have already been doing this since I found a section of irrigation pipe with connectors in the trees. Do you have any idea how many hours per day I should splash water back into the pond?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I started Googling pond aerators, then realized I might be able to use the irrigation pump that is already installed at the pond. My thought is to disconnect the line going to the gardens and hook up another hose pointing over the pond so the water splashes back into the pond. Previous owner might have already been doing this since I found a section of irrigation pipe with connectors in the trees. Do you have any idea how many hours per day I should splash water back into the pond?

http://forums.pondboss.com has a lot of info on areators including calculators. A bit more involved than when put a simple fountain in a 570L pond in past. I'll start irrigation pipe fountain tomorrow to stir things up until I have time to workout a long term solution. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!​

Ask a Question