opinion on my water chemistry readings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Zone 6B, Pocono Mountains of northeastern PA. 1500 gallons. Half of pond still has some ice coverage. We usually lose many 1-2 goldfish every spring, but have never lost any koi. Pond may be a bit overcrowded, but not really too excessive.
Anyway, two of our large koi have died. Both were around 24" and about 10 years old. One was seen floating by my wife and the next day was laying in the yard partially eaten. The second one was floating, When I found the one in the yard, I half suspected predators were the cause, then I found the second one floating.
So, both being about 10 years old, do you think they just got old? I see online that they can live much longer.

I use an API test kit and from what I see the readings don't look bad.

Ammonia 1.0
Ph 6.5
Nitrite 0
Phosphate .5

Thanks,
Joe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm not an expert, but what stands out to me is the ammonia and PH readings. Ammonia should be zero or very close to it and a Ph of 6.5 is a little on the low side.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I agree with Tula. How many fish do you have and how big are they? The largest koi are usually hit hard by low oxygen levels. 10 years is not old for koi. I lost a 26 year old due to tumors a few years ago. Overcrowding can be a big issue with koi. They grow fast. How is your filtration? Coming out of winter is a really bad time. The fish are weak and the bad bacteria can cause major fish kills. Aeromonas alley- water temps 42-62. I'm watching both my ponds daily and we had a mild winter but been seeing jumping and flashing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I really didn't think those numbers were off that much, but if the consensus is to the contrary, maybe I should to a slight water change. Maybe 200-300 gallons? Considering it's still a bit cold out, I was leary on doing a water change. I don't want to shock them. What does everyone think?

I have 4 koi around 24" (two now gone), 3 koi about 12"-18". 4 koi about 6", 2 shubunkin maybe 4"-5", approximately 8 goldfish of various sizes.

Haven't started up my main (2 pressure type) filters/waterfall yet. Still ice on half the pond. I keep air stone going all year (12" below surface). I keep a bucket with a pump in it covered with lava rock and pvc to just under water surface creating a fountain all year. Have a pond breather too.
Not related, but seriously thinking of getting rid of the pressure filters and building a bog.
Thanks,
Joe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh, no flashing, surface breathing or anything like that going on.
The fish are acting normal for this time of year. Just basically hanging mostly still. The air temperature at night has been around the 20's F. When I get a chance, I'll get a reading of the water temperature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Do you have any Pond Prime? It's made by Seachem. I'd do a small water change and add some Prime and keep testing the ammonia. Have you ever tested your KH, which is the hardness of your water? Keeping it stable is what stabilizes the PH. I'm not an expert, but wouldn't want to see your PH drop any lower....maybe read up a bit on KH and it's effect on PH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks. I don't normally add any chemicals at all. The only thing I use is TetraPond AquaSafe water conditioner since I'm on treated central water. I'd rather do a water change.
I will look into KH in relation to PH. Thanks for that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thanks. I don't normally add any chemicals at all. The only thing I use is TetraPond AquaSafe water conditioner since I'm on treated central water. I'd rather do a water change.
I will look into KH in relation to PH. Thanks for that.
Pond Prime is a decholrinator / water conditioner. It removes ammonia , chlorine and chloramines . I use it when I do my water changes, as our water is chlorinated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Tula, I'm not familiar with Pond Prime. So it's also a water conditioner.
Looking at my bottle of AquaSafe, it states it removes chlorine and chloramine. No mention of removing ammonia.
The principal ingredients are: sodium thiosulfate, (organic) chelating compounds, mineral salts.
So it seems Pond Prime does a bit more. Maybe I should switch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Tula, I'm not familiar with Pond Prime. So it's also a water conditioner.
Looking at my bottle of AquaSafe, it states it removes chlorine and chloramine. No mention of removing ammonia.
The principal ingredients are: sodium thiosulfate, (organic) chelating compounds, mineral salts.
So it seems Pond Prime does a bit more. Maybe I should switch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
While reading another thread, it came to me that I did something different this year. Instead of using a 250 watt K&H pond deicer, I used that new fangled API pond breather. Maybe that thing didn't allow enough gases to escape especially with my fish load.
My air stone and fountain froze over a few times for days. So the only thing allowing the exchange of gases was that breather thing. The larger fish suffered due to their size.
Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I used a Pond Breather too, in addition to my small aerator.
How many gallons of water, how many fish and their size?
IDK...I'm not trusting that breather. I think I'll go back to the deicer next year.

I think I'll start a new thread asking opinions on the pond breather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How many gallons of water, how many fish and their size?
IDK...I'm not trusting that breather. I think I'll go back to the deicer next year.

I think I'll start a new thread asking opinions on the pond breather.

My pond is 1700 gallons and I have 4 adult koi. At the end of every pond season, I lower the water and catch every single off spring and re-home them........I know with my pond size, 4 is the limit. I've had them close to 15 years and I'm guessing they're in the 24 inch range....but I've never measured them.

I'm not an expert, but I believe as my fish have grown and gotten older, they need more oxygen then the floating de-icer I started out with many years ago. I like to cover my pond as it keeps the water's surface open, allowing for more gas / oxygen exchange, and I keep the Pond Breather going and suspend 4 air stones around the pond.

Ask a Question