water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm curious what do you use on the floor of your pond and why
Nothing, it looks fine without any thing and over time looks totally natural. Easier to clean when you are not working around rocks etc.

This is what the bottom looks like
Capture18.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Same here. Nothing... just pond liner. Easy to clean, and less opportunity for nasties to build up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Nothing. I used to have gravel, but it slid into the deepest part of my pond, reducing depth and my water lilies had gone crazy in it.....so removed it. I miss the light color that gravel provides, but the bare liner is easier to clean.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I scoop it in the spring. And... that's it. No mechanical filtration - just a bog. No skimmer. I get in every couple of weeks and swish my feet around in the gravel but not much gets stirred up. Koi, shubunkins and goldfish, but nobody is a bottom stirrer-upper. They're all algae grazers.

Here's a shot looking straight down. This is the deepest point - just under 3.5 feet deep:

IMG_2408.jpg

There's me! And my gravel bottom! (Ignore my air hose - that thing loves to float!)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I scoop it in the spring. And... that's it. No mechanical filtration - just a bog. No skimmer. I get in every couple of weeks and swish my feet around in the gravel but not much gets stirred up. Koi, shubunkins and goldfish, but nobody is a bottom stirrer-upper. They're all algae grazers.

Here's a shot looking straight down. This is the deepest point - just under 3.5 feet deep:

View attachment 84201

There's me! And my gravel bottom! (Ignore my air hose - that thing loves to float!)
Yep, that is how the bottom of most any pond can look.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bottom of mine in the deep area is light, I tried floating some lilies in pots one year a few tipped over and dumped a whole bunch of kitty litter on the bottom. You can still see it. The fish keep it picked clean.

Not the best picture, all the light area is kitty litter and a bit of pea gravel, There are lily pots sitting on a bunch of it. In the darker shaded areas there is more too. A stray rock or two has fallen in over time, I either fish them out or ignore them .
j.JPG

Ask a Question