Opinions about Aerator

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Decided to get an aerator for my new app. 7000 gallon pond. Windmill is too expensive and I can run 125 feet of Romex cable with no issues.

Currently stocked with around 100 small gold fish and a few plants. As it cycles I will increase load on the pond. No filters just
"a la mother nature."

Zone 9a so no ice issues.

After much reading I am down to 2 aerators.

1. Laguna 75. 50 watts and puts out 2.47 CFM. Has a 2 year warranty and costs $165 on Amazon. Reviews are OK but some possible issues with noise level.

https://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Aerat...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DQR4KJ7SSZF3QG50RZ90

2. Aquascape 61000 Pond Pro. 45 watts and puts out 2.1 CFM. 3 year warranty. Cost is $260 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Aquascape-61...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5B61XQYK0070ARYMTXAG

Now there are many other choices but I have narrowed it down to these 2 pumps.

I prefer the one larger diffuser disc on the Aquascape but I don't think the extra one year warranty justifies the $100 higher price tag.

Maybe the quality of the Aquascape is superior?

Anybody have experience with either of these units?

Please don't confuse the issue more by suggesting I look at the Koiair 1 or other units. I have looked at dozens of air pumps and feel that one of the above referenced pumps will serve me well.

I had considered the Airmax Koiair 1 but it's output is only .8 CFM. Now maybe that is enough as it is recommended for ponds between 2000 and 8000 gallons.

It's a bit confusing as the pumps I mentioned are all recommended for my size pond but the CFM output varies quite a bit. The Laguna has an output 3 times that of the KoiAir!!

So are the Laguna and Aquascape overkill or is more air always better.

BTW: My pond depth is 2.5-3 feet maximum depth

I appreciate any experiences or knowledge you can share.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the laguna aerator and love it .I got the smaller one and it came with hoses and air stones .Bought it back in 2014 and been really happy with it but wish I had gone with the bigger one but this is fine .Got 4 year warranty with that and my laguna pumps at the same time off ebay and been extremely happy .500 gallons + .I forgot to set the water meter while I was putting water in 1 time so not sure how much water went in that time or how long it was running .The air diffusers are much better and weighted air hose but out of my budget right now .I always use 2 pumps .Safer since if one goes out I have the other in there until I can get a new one or figure out what is wrong.I am also cheap and have always used sump pump hose .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
not familiar with your suggested air disc, but from what I've read, the rubber diaphragm/membrane types last longer and are easier to clean. When I used 'stones', algae and whatnot would clog them up pretty fast. Just an idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I have the laguna aerator and love it .I got the smaller one and it came with hoses and air stones .Bought it back in 2014 and been really happy with it but wish I had gone with the bigger one but this is fine .Got 4 year warranty with that and my laguna pumps at the same time off ebay and been extremely happy .500 gallons + .I forgot to set the water meter while I was putting water in 1 time so not sure how much water went in that time or how long it was running .The air diffusers are much better and weighted air hose but out of my budget right now .I always use 2 pumps .Safer since if one goes out I have the other in there until I can get a new one or figure out what is wrong.I am also cheap and have always used sump pump hose .

Thanks, Sissy. I will likely go with the Laguna 75.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The rubber ones are nice but very expensive .The laguna air stones that came with mine are great .I clean them at least 3 times a year just like I clean my pumps and the cages around my pumps .My pond is around 4 feet deep and a little more depends on how high the water is
100_7104.JPG
.I got a 12 port for free with mine and use all 12 of them .There is one each in the filters .plus you can turn off some of them with that little handle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have the KoiAir mini. It throws out tons of bubbles and causes a pretty big disruption at the surface. I have seen large ponds with aerators evenly spaced across the pond. I think that makes more sense than trying to have one large one do it all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think 2.5 CFM is a pretty good amount for your pond but given how much surface area you have you'll definitely need multiple stones spread around rather than a single one in the middle.

Are you at least moving the water around via pump/waterfall? If not I'd be really hesitant to recommend anything other than tiny fish. And of course if you're gonna pump the water you should filter it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Actually a single diffuser large enough for the pond is the best way to go as it will set up a vertical rotating current constantly exposing new water to the atmosphere to be oxygenated.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My biggest air stones are all set at different heights in my pond and they are all down the middle of the pond.I wish I could afford the rubber ones but they are expensive .I think if you clean them at least 2 times a year it helps .I use a tooth brush and peroxide to clean mine and it does help .Since I have so many also I think that helps .The big round ones help good with a round pond because they swirl the water around also

Ask a Question