Opinions, experience with pond breather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I was one of those that jumped on the "bandwagon" when Dr's F&S were selling the API Pond Breather for $17. Great deal since the normal price was $75! And only a 40 watt draw would save electricity.
Anyway, so here's the thing...I was a little leary depending on this thing to allow exchange of gases in my zone 6B area. Maybe I should have listened to my gut feeling. For 10 years I've been using 250 watt pond deicers. The round floating type with the thermostatically controlled heating element. I also run a fountain and air stone. Both of which froze over for days this winter. Days, not weeks.
I don't know if the pond breather was the cause, but I lost two 24" koi. One was a really nice orange and black butterfly. The other solid orange butterfly.
So...on to the questions...anyone else suspect problems like this or had good or bad experiences with these?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have also used for years now, the only opening in the ice (no koi), have not loss a fish. My pond system is totally off over winter.

Reaction score
I have a couple of air stones but they don't keep the ice off all winter so it does freeze up occasionally. I'm not convinced that with a large enough pond (mine is almost 3000 gallons) and a reasonable amount of fish ( I have 5) that you need to keep the pond open. I know the wisdom is that you can't let things freeze over but I also know that millions are made selling stuff that isn't really necessary. I would suspect that your fish died because fish die in the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
OK, going on other's experience, there must be other issues. Ammonia was a little high at 1.0.
My fish load may be a bit high. They keep multiplying and the koi are getting real big.

I had a death in the family which kept me from netting the pond in the fall. A lot of leaves got in there. I scooped up what I could, but I see a lot have accumulated anyway. Maybe the leaves breaking down and the large fish load affected the larger koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would suspect that your fish died because fish die in the winter.
This could very well be the answer. Fish sometimes die from the winter stress. I've had this happen to plenty of goldfish over the years. It was just a shock for me to lose two major koi. I'll just have to get over it and enjoy the rest of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think the combination of a high fish load and their size, coupled with organic debris, you needing to turn off your water fall / pumps when they froze over and air stones freezing....all contributed to low O2 for your biggest koi. One Pond Breather may not be enough in your climate, perhaps two? I personally like "back up" systems".....using multiple ideas in case one fails.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think the combination of a high fish load and their size, coupled with organic debris, you needing to turn off your water fall / pumps when they froze over and air stones freezing....all contributed to low O2 for your biggest koi. One Pond Breather may not be enough in your climate, perhaps two? I personally like "back up" systems".....using multiple ideas in case one fails.
Agree. Fish load, decaying leaves and I think that breather wasn't enough.
Next time I think I'll use the breather on one end and a deicer on the other.
This is also the first time I didn't use the leaf net. I usually put it on in the fall and remove it in the spring.

Ask a Question