opinions on equiptment please

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am normally a DIYer. Had a preform homedepot pond with homemade filter for the past two years, water was very clear, no problems, also had rocks on the bottom with 4 small Koi and 4 goldies. It was time to upgrade so I dug out a 15x5.5 ft. pond with a depth of about 3 ft, to 20 inches. After many articles and my desire for alot of reflection I went with a liner bottom. I got some new fish, probably too many, (need to enlarge already. ) 17 total, 7 goldies and 10 Koi mostly young, one large. I was scared but the deal was hard to pass up on the fish, going out of business sale. So I upgraded my system, I now have an Ultima 2 (2000) and a sequence out of pond pump with skimmer basket and a UV, ALL this equiptment just doesn't seem natural. All the reading I had done was always on the bio systems and more natural way....it made sense. My questions are: With the Filter and UV, will my plants still be able to pull nutrients from the water, I use no soil, just wrap and weigh down. With no liner, I have dirt on the bottom from my dirty feet....should I sweep that down towards the drain, or allow a layer :)profile:the Koi seem to like it) I'm not anti rock... Just like the black bottom! How do the experienced ones feel about all the equiptment? And salt.....he put salt in:eek2:, but those Koi are really active now.....so maybe there is something to it. hmmmm opionions please?

Ask a Question